Intercultural Activities Working Party
|University of Central
Lancashire and St Martin's College
Aims and objectives
- To review and report on current practice for raising students
intercultural awareness in their preparation for the period of residence abroad from a
selection of UK HE institutions.
- To review current literature including conference reports and
available information from national projects;
- To select examples from current practice, using information gathered
from fellow HE institutions, the three national RAM projects and recent conferences and
- To inform future good practice in the field of activities relating to
the period of residence abroad.
The review will concentrate on activities
falling within the following two domains:
|concepts of culture
||social and self
|e.g., examining own culture,
||e.g., exploring expectations,
It will identify typologies of activities
which are used for learning within the domains above, such as:
- critical incidents analysis
- focus groups
- games and quizzes
- discussions with returnees and resident international students
- preparation for cultural assignments
- ethnographic research exercises
It will review the incorporation of such activities into different
types of curricula and identify areas for further developmental work in the field.
Review of current literature and practices in Intercultural awareness raising.
Identification of criteria for effective learning activities.
Detailed samples of effective learning activities within the framework of Preparation
for the Period Abroad.
Download the sub-project report
Raising Intercultural Awareness in preparation for
periods of residence abroad
as an RTF file (approx 210K).