29 March 2008
University of Bristol
Burwalls Continuing Education Centre
This year the Medieval English Theatre meeting on The 1490s
- hosted by Professor Pamela King at the University of Bristol;
- held in the University's Burwalls Centre for Continuing Education, Bridge Road, Leigh Woods, BRISTOL BS8 3PD,
UK, Tel: +44 (0)117 3310200;
venue images and information;
- Pam’s contact details: Department of English, University of Bristol, 3/5 Woodland Road, BRISTOL,
- Please register as directed on the Registration form, and send the form
with payment to
Dr Sue Niebrzydowski, School of English, Bangor University, Gwynedd, LL57 2DG by
by 3 March 2008.
- Should you need overnight accommodation on Friday 28 or Saturday 29 March, please refer to the
Accommodation section below.
- The cost, £38 per person, includes morning and afternoon coffee/tea and biscuits,
and a buffet lunch (includes vegan and vegetarian).
- The first two full-time postgraduate students to apply will have the cost of the day paid by Medieval
- Please pass on news of the day to anyone you know who might be interested in attending.
Further copies of the registration form can be obtained online from this website or by emailing Sue Niebrzydowski at
or by phoning her at 01248 382111 (work).
- Contrary to their website information, 2008 prices are £45 for bed and breakfast per person
for single night stays (no rooms are ensuite). Please contact
for further information or to book a room. (Please note that the average cost of a modest single room in
local hotels is now £70+).
- For the situation of Burwalls please click the following link to their website,
then the link to multimap.com:
- From the station (Temple Meads) you can either get a taxi, or the no. 9 bus from the station concourse will
take you to Clifton Down Road, from where it is a ten-minute walk across the suspension bridge to Burwalls.
- Burwalls has a free car park (there is also a disabled access entrance with 2 reserved
disabled parking spaces), and a secure bicycle shed.
- For those who wish to arrive on the Friday, we will gather between 6.30pm–7.15pm at Burwalls reception
and walk across the suspension bridge into Clifton for a moderately-priced and convivial dinner. Please
indicate on the Registration form if you would like to join this party.
- The Programme is a full one, but to help those who wish to travel on the Saturday, we will begin
registration at 10 a.m. and the full programme at 10.30.
- Research: the following will give papers at the meeting: Sarah Carpenter (Edinburgh),
Jane Griffiths (Bristol), Andrew Hiscock (Bangor), David Mills (Liverpool). There will be a roundtable
discussion on dramatic activity in England during this decade led by Pamela King. Final titles to follow.
- The day will include a performance of Fulgens and Lucres by Thynke Byggly,
directed by Elisabeth Dutton.
- The Business section will begin around 4.00 p.m.
Please indicate on the registration form if you wish to make a report.
Copies of the Registration Form are available here.
Please print it off: do not attempt to fill it in on-line!
30th January 2008