Online and distance learning courses
The Faculty offers an extensive range of high quality online and distance learning degrees and awards. These combine Lancaster’s excellence in teaching with the flexibility to study at a time and place that is convenient for you.
We have considerable experience in supporting online and distance learners, and this expertise will make a difference in the quality of your learning experience and your enjoyment of the course.
Online and distance courses include some or all of the following:
- Access to Moodle, our Virtual Learning Environment
- Online library resources and support
- Online seminars and conferences
- One-to-one tutorials
- Opportunities to engage with tutors and other students both formally and informally
Some courses include short residentials and summer schools – see individual courses for details.
- Creative Writing
- Education and Social Justice (Distance Learning) MA
- Educational Research - Higher Education (thesis and coursework) PhD
- Higher Education: Research, Evaluation and Enhancement PhD
- Education and Social Justice (thesis and coursework) PhD
- E-Research and Technology Enhanced Learning (coursework and thesis) PhD
- Linguistics and English Language
Philosophy, Politics and Religion
- Diplomacy and International Law (Distance Learning) LLM
- Diplomacy and International Law (Distance Learning) MA
- Diplomacy and International Relations (by Distance Learning) MA
- Quakerism in the Modern World (Distance Learning) MA
- Quaker Studies (Distance Learning) PgCert
- Religious Studies (Distance Learning) PgCert
A vibrant and supportive learning community and with high quality programmes: these are the hallmarks of Lancaster’s online learning experience.
Mark Jones, LLM Diplomacy and International Law (Distance Learning)
Irene Foster, PhD Educational Research – Higher Education
Jenny Hatley, PhD in Education and Social Justice
Academics and doctoral students in the Department of Educational Research regularly write about different aspects of online and distance learning, including tips for effective learning. You can read the latest posts on their blog page.Blogs
We run free online courses in partnership with FutureLearn. These are sometimes referred to as 'MOOCs' - or Massive Open Online Courses. You can register online to join any of the courses listed below - you just need access to a computer, tablet or mobile phone to learn with us.Free courses