From the rise and fall of great powers to the treatment of non-combatants, from diplomacy and peace-making to strategy and doctrine, and from wars of propaganda to weaponry and intelligence, explore the major themes of international and military history across the world from ancient times to today.
Recent development in geo-politics – from the increasing militarisation of the Asia-Pacific to the military resurgence of Russia – have led to a renaissance in the study of warfare and relations between states, as academics, students, governments, and the general public seek to understand the making and conduct of war and peace on the global stage. At the same time, the field of international history has been transformed, moving away from a western-centric perspective and a focus on high politics to integrate the perspective of the Global South, while also focusing on ‘lesser’ political actors and people. Military History, meanwhile, has grown from its original focus on strategy, battles, and military leaders to incorporate the study of the political, economic, societal, and cultural dimensions of war. These disciplinary developments are embedded in Lancaster's Masters in International and Military History, which draws from the History Department's particular expertise in war and inter-state relations from the ancient world to the present day, in order to explore these themes across time.
Whether you are seeking to develop professional expertise or pursue a research career, you will have the oppportunity to gain the knowledge and skills needed to engage with key debates and advance new arguments, informed by a global perspective and a broad chronological understanding.
This Masters programmes provides the opportunity to:
- Study the only degree in the UK to combine international and military history at Masters level
- Pursue your interest across a broad chronological range, from the ancient world to the present day
- Gain a truly global perspective, across Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe, and the Middle East
- Develop expertise and skills that could enhance your career potential in a range of sectors or prepare you for doctoral research
- Work with scholars who are expert in the fields of international and military history, and whose teaching is fuelled by the latest research
- Through our guest speaker programme, to engage with the work of other leading scholars, as well as diplomats, politicians, and military leaders