Postgraduate Conference Presentation Grant
This Fund provides financial support for PhD students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Lancaster University who are giving papers at conferences, both in the UK and overseas.
Please ensure you use the current year’s form, as this has changed from previous years.
The Postgraduate Conference Presentation Grant is to assist FASS postgraduates not receiving research councils' funding for conference expenses to attend conferences at which they are presenting papers. Once the total budget for 2019-20 has been exhausted, the fund will close.
There is a limit of £250 per award for conferences in the country of residence, and £500 for conferences outside the country of residence.
There are three application rounds: Michaelmas (1 August to end of Christmas vacation), Lent (beginning of Lent Term to end of Easter vacation), and Summer (beginning of Summer Term to 31 July). Postgraduate research students can apply for two conferences per annum but only once per application round and up to a total maximum of £800.
Students who have a conference during the lent or summer terms can already apply in Michaelmas Term; what they cannot do is apply two times in Michaelmas Term, eg students could apply for a conference taking place in February (Lent Term) or June (Summer Term) during the Michaelmas application round, but where students wanted to attend both conferences, students would have to wait to apply for the second conference during the Lent or Summer application rounds.
Please bear in mind the following procedural points:
- Applications must be submitted on the form FASS PCPG 19-20 prior to the conference taking place.
- When completing the application form, please convert all costs into pounds sterling.
- The application form must be returned electronically by your Supervisor to email@example.com.
- Forms can be submitted at any time of year during each round (Michaelmas, Lent, Summer) and decisions will be notified on an on-going basis while there are funds available. If the conference takes place after 31 July 2020 then no decision will be notified until funding for 2020-21 is known.
- Please remember to observe the rules on reimbursement and receipts outlined in the Notes on FASS PCPG 19-20.
- Please do not attach any receipts to this form - if your application is approved you will be informed how to claim any money awarded to you, and you will need your receipts to do so.
- If you are awarded funds please submit your claim for reimbursement immediately after you travel. You should contact firstname.lastname@example.org if the conference takes place in July and you are unable to submit a claim by 31 July 2020.
and the following guidelines:
- The fund is restricted to conference travel – as opposed to other expenses incurred during research.
- Applicants are required to be presenting papers, not merely attending the conference.
- Applicants in receipt of research councils' funding for conference travel are not eligible. Applicants in receipt of other funding which covers research expenses should apply to these funding streams in the first instance. If youy are in receipt of such funding, please confirm the name of the funding stream and specify how much you have received/been awarded.
- Only research students in years 1-4 and part-time research students in years 1-8 are eligible.
- The Faculty will not fund more than two conferences per annum (ie 1 August to 31 July) and students cannot reapply during the same round (Michaelmas, Lent Summer). The maximum per annum is £800. There is a limit of £250 per award for conferences in the country of residence, and £500 for conferences outside the country of residence.
- The Faculty will only cover the cost of the most economical mode of transport. Car mileage will only be paid in exceptional circumstances.
Further information and enquiries
If you have any enquiries about this fund, please contact email@example.com.