Postgraduate Research Skills Training Fund
This fund provides financial support for PhD students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Lancaster University to cover costs directly incurred by participation in a training event.
The Postgraduate Research Skills Training Fund (RSTF) provides PhD students in FASS with grants of up to £400 to cover costs (e.g. accommodation, registration and travel) directly incurred by participation in a training course/event. The training undertaken must provide research skills and/or methods necessary to the successful completion of your doctoral project and which are not delivered through the Faculty's Research Training Programme. Students are limited to one successful application per annum up to a maximum of £400 per annum. Once the total budget for 2020/21 has been exhausted, the fund will close.
Until further notice, only online training courses will be funded (except in the UK, see below). This will be revised as and when the situation evolves.
If, as per the University Travel policy, you think that your research might meet the criteria for travel outside the UK to be authorised, please ask your supervisor to first contact the Director, Basil Germond, to discuss the case and the procedure to follow and seek necessary approval, (which includes full risk assessment (for travel outside the UK) and HoD approval).
If you are based in the UK and consider attending, in-person, a training event that is scheduled to take place in June or July 2021 in the UK, please contact Basil Germond to discuss the case in light of the expected lifting of restrictions. Travel must be authorised by your HoD. If travel is authorised, all travel must be arranged with the University’s preferred suppliers only (via University Travel Services).
All of the above is subject to change at short notice based on governmental rules and guidance.
Please note: the RSTF does NOT fund attendance of academic conferences or symposia, or any form of data collection / information gathering. Students wanting funding to support the delivery of a paper at an academic conference should apply to the Conference Presentation Grant.
- Applications should be submitted on the RSTF Application Form 2020/21 revised.
- Applications lacking the details requested on the application form will not be considered for funding.
- Email the completed form to the Director of the RTP, Basil Germond (email@example.com).
- Ensure that your PhD supervisor emails Basil Germond to support your application and confirm the relevance of the training event to your research project.
- Applications will not be processed without a supporting email from your supervisor.
- Ensure that you apply in sufficient time for your application to be processed prior to the training event you wish to attend.
- Applications will be processed on a regular basis throughout term-time and will receive timely email notification of the outcome.
- The closing deadline for application to the RSTF is 15 June 2021.
- Once the total budget for 2020-21 has been exhausted, the fund will close.
- Students are limited to one successful application up to a maximum of £400 per annum.
- Priority will be given to postgraduates who do not have access to other funding sources (e.g. departmental funds, NWSSDTP and NWCDTP).
- The training must contribute to the development of research skills or the acquisition of research methods and not just to the acquisition of knowledge on a topic/discipline.
- Funds will be dispersed (via the Finance Office) through advance purchase and reimbursement subsequent to expenditure and submission of appropriate receipts.
- The Finance Office will contact successful applicants in respect of accessing funds.
- Monies allocated in this round must be spent by 31 July 2021.
Enquiries should be addressed to Basil Germond at firstname.lastname@example.org.