Postgraduate Research Skills Training Fund
This fund provides financial support for PhD students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Lancaster University to cover costs directly incurred by participation in a training event.
The Postgraduate Research Skills Training Fund (RSTF) provides PhD students in FASS with grants of up to £500 to cover costs (e.g. accommodation, registration and travel) directly incurred by participation in a training course/event. The training undertaken must provide research skills and/or methods necessary to the successful completion of your doctoral project and which are not delivered through the Faculty's Research Training Programme. Students are limited to two successful applications per annum (and one successful application per term) up to a maximum of £500 per annum. Once the total budget for 2019/20 has been exhausted, the fund will close.
Please note: the RSTF does NOT fund attendance of academic conferences or symposia, or any form of data collection / information gathering. Students wanting funding to support the delivery of a paper at an academic conference should apply to the Conference Presentation Grant.
- Applications should be submitted on the RSTF Application Form 2019-20.
- Applications lacking the details requested on the application form will not be considered for funding.
- Email the completed form to the Director of the RTP, Basil Germond (email@example.com).
- Ensure that your PhD supervisor emails Basil Germond to support your application and confirm the relevance of the training event to your research project.
- Applications will not be processed without a supporting email from your supervisor.
- Ensure that you apply in sufficient time for your application to be processed prior to the training event you wish to attend.
- Applications will be processed on a regular basis throughout term-time and will receive timely email notification of the outcome.
- The closing deadline for application to the RSTF is 22 June 2020.
- Once the total budget for 2019-20 has been exhausted, the fund will close.
- Students are limited to two successful applications up to a maximum of £500 per annum, but limited to one successful application per academic term. For the purposes of this Fund, the terms are defined as Michaelmas (1 August to end of Christmas vacation), Lent (beginning of Lent Term to end of Easter vacation), and Summer (beginning of Summer Term to 31 July).
- Priority will be given to postgraduates who do not have access to other funding sources (e.g. departmental funds, NWSSDTP and NWCDTP).
- The training must contribute to the development of research skills or the acquisition of research methods and not just to the acquisition of knowledge on a topic/discipline.
- Funds will be dispersed (via the Finance Office) through advance purchase and reimbursement subsequent to expenditure and submission of appropriate receipts.
- The Finance Office will contact successful applicants in respect of accessing funds.
- Monies allocated in this round must be spent by 31 July 2020.
Enquiries should be addressed to Basil Germond at firstname.lastname@example.org.