- A graduate from 2019?
- Taking those first important steps along your career path and not sure which way to go?
- Struggling to plan your next steps in employment, education or training?
- Wanting to put your talents and skills to good use?
Do you need help to achieve your goals? We have a programme of Careers coaching open to you, as well as a range of short-time internship oppotunities within the university.
How can career coaching help?
The purpose of coaching is to support you to achieve your personal and professional goals.
A career coach can help you identify the right role for you and help you make the transition into your new role. A coach can help you:
- Establish your goals
- Evaluate your situation
- Explore options
- Overcome perceived obstacles
- Commit to actions
A coach offers unbiased, objective feedback tailored to your search and career goals specifically focussing on:
- Assessment of skills for work and life
- Career decision making
- Effective job search strategies
- Interviews and presentation rehearsal
Career coaches don’t promise you’ll be hired after an interview, and they don’t guarantee job placement. Your coach is an ally who is familiar with your situation and dedicated to your success.
What do I have to do?
A coach will provide you with tools and resources necessary to make you and your job search successful, but cannot do the work for you. It’s up to you to take what you learn in a session and run with it. This means being willing to put aside dedicated time to practice interviewing skills, for example. As with most things, you’ll get out what you put into the relationship.
Your coach will have regular communication with you through telephone, Skype or email to increase your future success and ensure momentum and consistency.
- At the start of the programme you will talk through and set out expectations.
- Record targets and achievements to see where progress has been made and where more development is needed.
- It is important you complete the learning provided so that continued progress can be made.
- Attend coaching sessions in an area where you can concentrate with minimal distraction and ensure that the allocated time is not interrupted.
Everything discussed is treated in confidence and data is maintained in a confidential manner. Please click here to view our Privacy Notices.