Medical Connections is a unique opportunity aimed at first year students at Lancaster Medical School to increase your confidence, teamwork and leadership skills, and to help you to prepare for your future as a medic.
Comprising of workshops and a one-day visit off-campus, Medical Connections will provide you with an opportunity for self-development and an experience to broaden your horizons and connect with others beyond Lancaster Medical School.
What sort of time commitment will be required of me?
The Medical Connections initiative comprises of:
Two 3-hour workshops focused on developing skills relevant to helping you get the most out of your degree and future career opportunities. These are:
- Feeling confident as a medical student
- Working in teams and 'The professional experience'
Plus a visit to the GMC's office in Manchester to put your learning into practice.
When is this happening?
Workshop 1: Wednesday 19th February, 3 - 6pm
Workshop 2: Wednesday 26th February, 3 - 6pm
Trip to the GMC, Manchester: Friday 17th April
Who can apply?
Having been awarded funding from the Widening Participation Advisory Group to run the programme for 15 medical school students, this opportunity is targeted at 1st year Lancaster Medical School undergraduate students from groups under-represented in Higher Education.
Students from the following groups will be given priority:
- Students who are the first generation in their family to progress to higher education
- Mature students (21+ on entry to UG study)
- Students with disabilities (including specific learning difficulties or mental health challenges)
- Students in receipt of a Lancaster University maintenance bursary
- Students who are a member of an ethnic minority
- Students who are care leavers
- Students who are young carers or parents
- Students estranged from their families
- Students who are refugees and asylum seekers
- Students from military families
- Students from Romani and traveller communities
How do I apply?
To be considered for the Medical Connections Programme, please complete an initial application form by the deadline of Sunday 12th January. The application form can be accessed through the button on the right. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Priority will given to students in the following order:
- Those who meet more than one of the eligibility criteria above, and who are 1st year students.
- Those who meet more than one of the eligibility criteria above, and who are in other year groups.
- Those who meet one of the eligibility criteria above, and who are 1st year students.
- Those wh meet one of the eligibility criteria above, and who are in other year groups.
- Those who demonstrate how participating in the programme will be of benefit in developing their own personal professional network, confidence in clinical placements and developing leadership and teamwork skills.