isITethical? is based on collaborative research with practitioners in disaster risk management and IT development:
Collaborations with PSCE, BAPCO, Airbus, Saab, CNet Svenska, CloudSigma,
10+ EUFP7 H2020 projects 35+ Co-design Workshops
An interdisciplinary team of researchers from social science, law, and design have carried out 100+ interviews 70+ days of observations
Review of 1000+ disaster reports and other documents
Key Findings: Ethical, legal and social issues (ELSI) are contextual, neither ‘in’ the technology nor their use but distributed, ‘solutions’ are socio-technical, require reflexivity.
It is directed by a group of scholars and designers from Lancaster University in collaboration with the Public Safety Communications Europe Network (PSCE).
We are a growing community of practitioners, researchers, commercial developers and policy-makers interested in driving responsible innovation with digital ethics in the field of Disasters and Risk Management (DRM).
Join our LinkedIn Group here or email us at isITethical(at)lancaster.ac.uk to keep informed about events, updates on digital ethics, and more.
WHAT WE DO
The IsITethical? Exchange develops a digital ethics for responsible ICT research and innovation in disaster risk management. It provides:
- an overview of ethical, legal, and social issues arising in the context of ICT innovation in disaster risk management guidance on balancing technological potential with fundamental rights and values,
- summaries of relevant aspects of regulatory frameworks, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR),
- inspiration for design and organisational change that places human rights, values, and practices at the centre of innovation,
- and links to relevant resources creative novel methods for iterative ethical impact and privacy impact assessment.
It is based on interdisciplinary research on
- interoperability and collaborative information management (see more here)
- extensive collaboration with practitioners in public protection and disaster risk, and ICT developers
- foundational work in shaping a digital ethics and good practices of ethical and privacy impact assessment
- long-standing experience in interdisciplinary collaborative design projects
The isITethical? Exchange combines
- an online community portal with a table-top exercise in the form of a board game, and
- a set of services for high-quality responsible research and innovation, and continued professional development,
- the isITethical? Table-top game.
HOW WE ARE FUNDED AND STRUCTURED
The isITethical Exchange is currently funded with £75,000 by the UK Higher Education Innovation Fund. We are a community of resarchers, practitioners, and developers collaborating as a network.
HAVE YOUR SAY
There are many ways to get in touch with us, and we’d love to hear from you. Have your say and share your ideas, stories, opinions and suggestions: