This year’s conference theme was ‘Meetings – Making Science, Technology and Society Together’ which saw a variety of panels, workshops, plenaries, meetings and events taking place all over campus and in Lancaster city centre.
Sessions took place in a range of our versatile spaces to accommodate encounters between people and the environment, arts and crafts, discovery and discussion. A few highlights from the event included:
- Delegates enjoying book exhibits, coffee breaks, lunches, welcome and closing drinks receptions in our outstanding LICA building
- A ‘Meeting Soil’ campus trip to the EcoHub where delegates where delegates could hear about and take part in student/staff nature culture experiments including permaculture and orchard planting
- ‘Meeting Frankenstein’ – a fantastic session that took place in our impressive Great Hall, marking the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s publication. Later that evening delegates also enjoyed a 25-minute performance from Lancaster’s Millennium Choir singing to and about James Whale’s 1931 film, Frankenstein.
- Delegates making use of our outdoor spaces including taking part in a Chi Gung and Tai Chi session each morning in Lancaster Square to prepare and energise them for the day ahead
- ‘Meeting Energy’ campus trip which included a tour, talk and picnic at the Lancaster University wind turbine
The event concluded with a memorable evening of meetings that included encounters with street food, pop-up bars, ambient sounds and live music. The team worked hard to transform the banquet marquee to fit in with the sustainability theme, using purely recycled materials, old tins and bottles, rope, cd’s and other recyclable items to dress the tent.