Fig 1: Tuneable electromagnetically induced transparency in coupled metamaterial resonators actively damped by graphene. From Adv. Optical Mater. 1800570 (2018).
Fig 2: Fast room-temperature terahertz detector based on interdigitated bow-tie antennas contacting graphene. From ACS Photonics, 3, 1747–1753, (2016).
The aim of this research consists in the investigation of a novel class of integrated optoelectronic devices based on the interplay between graphene and metamaterials and operating in the Terahertz frequency range. The THz spectral region is particularly appealing for many applications, ranging from spectroscopy to communications, to imaging and astronomy. The basic optoelectronic building blocks capable of actively manipulating this radiation are currently missing, thus hindering its full exploitation in fundamental research and in industrial applications. The aim is to provide such tools by combining metamaterials unique features, such as compactness, versatility and high-efficiency together with bi-dimensional materials, such as graphene.
• S. Kindness, N. Almond, B. Wei, R. Wallis, V. Kamboj, P. Braeuninger-Weimer, S. Hofmann, H. E. Beere, D. A. Ritchie, R. Degl'Innocenti ”Active control of electromagnetically induced transparency in a coupled plasmonic resonator array with graphene for continuous frequency control of terahertz radiation” Adv. Optical Mater. 1800570 (2018).
• R. Degl'Innocenti, L. Xiao, S.Kindness, V. Kamboj, B. Wei, P. Braeuninger-Weimer, K. Nakanishi, A. Aria, S. Hofmann, H. Beere, and D. Ritchie “Bolometric detection of terahertz quantum cascade lasers with graphene-plasmonic antenna arrays” Journal of Physics D invited article 50(17),17400, (2017)
• R. Degl'Innocenti, L. Xiao, D. S. Jessop, S. J. Kindness, Y. Ren, H. Lin, J. A. Zeitler, J. A. Alexander-Webber, H. J. Joyce, P. Braeuninger-Weimer, S. Hofmann, H. E. Beere and D. A. Ritchie “Fast room temperature detection of terahertz quantum cascade lasers with graphene loaded bow-tie plasmonic antenna arrays” ACS Photonics, 3, 1747–1753, (2016)
• D. S. Jessop, S. J. Kindness, L. Xiao, P. Braeuninger-Weimer, H. Lin, Y. Ren, C. X. Ren, S. Hofmann, J. A. Zeitler, H. E. Beere, D. A. Ritchie and R. Degl'Innocenti “Graphene based plasmonic terahertz amplitude modulator operating above 100 MHz”, Appl. Phys Lett. 108, 171101 (2016)
• R. Degl'Innocenti, D. S. Jessop, C. W. O. Sol, L. Xiao, S. J. Kindness, H. Lin, J. A. Zeitler, P. Braeuninger-Weimer, S. Hofmann, Y. Ren, V. S. Kamboj, J. Griffiths, H. E. Beere and D. A. Ritchie “Fast modulation of terahertz quantum cascade lasers using graphene loaded plasmonic antennas” ACS Photonics 3, 464-470, (2016).
“THz metamaterial/graphene optoelectronic modulators” EPSRC grant EP/S019383/1 (PI: 15/1/2019-> 14/1/2021).
“THz graphene/metamaterial active frequency modulators” Royal Society research grant RSG\R1\180148 (PI 15/3/2018->15/3/2019)