15 November 2018
If you are a current undergraduate and would like to apply for accommodation for 2019/20, you can apply online from today. Please read on for the full details. Postgraduates should note that the Graduate College will contact them directly regarding their accommodation.

To apply, simply log in to the accommodation portal and follow the link to 2019/20. You can apply for campus accommodation in your own College, or for our city accommodation at Chancellor's Wharf.

Deadlines & Guarantees

The deadline by which applications must be received is Monday 14 January 2019. Your Accommodation Manager will confirm whether we can offer you a room or if you are on our waiting list in the first week of the Lent term. We will then issue an offer by email around 21 January which will contain the final accommodation fees and terms and conditions. You would then have seven days to accept it, at which point the contract will be binding and you wouldn’t be able to change your mind.

If you are currently studying on a year away from the University however (abroad or on a work placement), you are guaranteed a place on campus if you want it, providing you apply by Monday 14 January. If you fall into these categories but apply later than this, you would be placed in a queue with all other applicants.

If you feel that you have a disability or special requirements that make living on campus a necessity you must discuss them with your Accommodation Manager in advance of 14 January and you will normally be expected to provide medical evidence from a UK doctor if you haven't already done so. You should proceed to apply in the usual way, writing in the ‘Additional Notes’ field that you have such a requirement for living on campus.

Please note that for most categories of student there is no guarantee of accommodation on campus after your first year, and students entering their final year are prioritised over those going in to second year.

Study Abroad & Year in Industry

If you are planning to study abroad in 2019/20, please don’t apply for campus accommodation. If you subsequently don’t get the grades you need, we have an arrangement with the International Office that we will find you a room on campus, or at Chancellor's Wharf if you prefer. If you are planning a work placement, please discuss the situation with your Accommodation Manager before applying.

Study Group/Foundation Students

Students currently with the International Study Centre should NOT apply for a room in this way. If you are successful on your course and begin a full degree in 2019, you will be invited to apply as a first year in summer 2019, with a different student ID number.


If you want to live with friends, you need to nominate a group leader in advance and put their name and student ID number in the required field on the web form. You all need to belong to the same college (unless you're applying to Chancellor's Wharf) and be applying for the same kind of accommodation.

REMEMBER: You all still need to submit an application - including the group leader! Just put the leader's ID on yours in the right place so they will all be grouped together.

Chancellors Wharf

The application form allows you to apply for accommodation in your own college or Chancellors Wharf, the University's only managed halls of residence in the city centre.

We know that if you've decided to live in the city-centre you won't want to wait for a decision, so unlike our campus halls when you apply to Chancellor's Wharf you will receive a prompt offer of a place shortly afterwards.

Chancellor's Wharf has 244 Standard with Washbasin rooms in three blocks by the Lancaster Canal (though numbers will be reduced in 2019/20 to allow for refurbishment work). The Water Witch pub is just opposite and the infirmary bus stop just a three minute walk away. The flats come in different sizes to suit different groups, many rooms have balconies or canal views, and it offers a brand new reception area with 24-hour mail collection, a new laundrette on site and three common rooms - one for each building.

You can take a look at what we have to offer at Chancellor's Wharf online and on Facebook.


If you wish to apply for a studio you can do this via the online application. As only Pendle and Grizedale have studios, successful applicants would be offered studio accommodation on Alexandra Park. Please complete the form highlighting the choice of room you would like if a studio is unavailable so that we can best accommodate you if we cannot offer you a studio.


The process for allocating family flats differs to that of the student rooms and you will not be able to apply for one during this process. If you are single or wanting to be housed with a group of friends, please don't apply for a family flat as you cannot be allocated family accommodation.

If you wish to be housed as a couple (one bed) or with your children, then please wait until the applications are open for postgraduate returners in January. You will be able to apply for family accommodation at that time but be aware that postgraduates are given priority and we are unable to advise undergraduates if they have been successful or not until the summer.

If you wish to be housed as a couple but your priority is to be on campus, then we would advise you to apply for two single rooms and contact the flats team in the summer about the possibility of upgrading if there are family flat vacancies.

College changes

If you feel you have reason to change college, please contact your College Manager in the first instance to discuss your reasons and they will consult with the college you want to move to. If you will be requiring accommodation, please make sure that you do this in plenty of time for it to be agreed and finalised before the Lent term.


Please note that we are unable to offer accommodation to students currently in debt to the University. If you are offered accommodation and subsequently encounter financial difficulties, you will be expected to clear outstanding amounts due by the end of June. If this happens, you must discuss the situation with your Accommodation Manager to make arrangements and agree a payment plan. Failure to agree a plan may result in you being issued with a notice to cancel the accommodation agreement.

We are also unable to accommodate students in breach of the student code of discipline or the terms and conditions of residence. 

We look forward to seeing you back here next year! Apply here now.