Study Abroad

The three year Biochemistry, Biological Sciences and Biomedicine BSc degree schemes and the four-year MSci in Biomedicine are all available with a study abroad option.

The year abroad is not an add-on to your degree; it is fully integrated so that you can still complete your BSc in just three years. Students on the study abroad scheme spend their first year at Lancaster, their second at a university overseas, and then return to Lancaster for the third and final year of the degree.

Where can I go?

The majority of our partner Universities are in North America, located across the United States and Canada or alternatively, you also have the opportunity of studying in Australia. Wherever you go, we are sure is will be an experience to remember! Download a copy of our prospectus for more detail about our current partner institutions.

Can I afford it?

Whilst there are clear financial implications to living abroad for a year (and many students take the opportunity to do other travelling while they are abroad), the study abroad scheme does not cost as much as you might think.

There is also some important financial help available in the form of:

  • reduced fees to Lancaster University; you will pay just 15% of the usual tuition fee during the year abroad, and there are no fees payable to the overseas institution
  • an enhanced student loan
  • a means-tested Government Travel grant, which usually covers the cost of two return flights plus insurance

What if I change my mind?

If, at any time during your first year, you decide that you no longer want to study abroad, you can simply switch to the 'standard' degree scheme.

Entry requirements and dual offer system

Because study abroad places are limited, competition is high and thus placements are conditional upon getting good grades in both your A-levels and within the first year of study at Lancaster. Current entry requirements (A-level) are AAA for all study abroad schemes.

However, if you apply for a study abroad course, we will also automatically consider you for the 'standard' degree scheme (for which the entry requirements are typically lower) and therefore you do not need to list both courses on your UCAS form.