During Lent term 2020 we’ll be moving our cloud storage from LU Box to Microsoft OneDrive.
As part of an ongoing plan to improve and enhance our digital collaboration the move from LU Box to OneDrive will bring close integration with Office 365, the University’s platform for email, calendaring and other services. It will also avoid licensing two similar cloud storage services, and will take place before the current Box licence expires towards the end of Lent term.
We’re currently in the process of planning, which will take a couple of months. Once planning is completed we’ll run some test moves from LU Box to OneDrive, in preparation for a mass move of content.
What you should do to prepare
ISS are arranging to move all LU Box files over to OneDrive for you, or you can move files yourself if you wish. But irrespective of whether you move files yourself or wait until they are moved for you, there's a series of steps you should go through to prepare.
Have you got a question?
Ask a question or raise a concern about the move from Box to OneDrive.
How to use OneDrive
- Information about using OneDrive.
- Training sessions about using OneDrive.
- If you would like bespoke training for your team or department please make a request via the Help Centre.
Where should I store my files?
- OneDrive provides you with secure cloud storage and allows you to collaborate on files with others, but the contents of a file and what it will be used for may mean it’s better to store it somewhere else, e.g. in Teams. To help you decide where to store your files, see our information about file storage services.
What are the differences between Box and OneDrive?
Do I personally need to move my files from Box to OneDrive?
- No, we’re planning a mass move of all content so you don’t have to do it.
- However, if you feel you would like do this yourself see our help and guidance on how to prepare for the move from Box to OneDrive, then how to successfully move your own Box files to OneDrive.
Will I lose files when the move happens?
- No, we will ensure that files are backed up before the move to prevent loss of data.
- However, Box Notes can't be transferred to OneDrive in the move - our information about preparing for the move from Box to OneDrive explains what to do about Box Notes.
Do new students and new staff get a Box account?
- New students and new staff get a Box account, but they do not receive any storage allocation for it. This means they will be able to view and collaborate on files that are shared with them, and download these files to their OneDrive account.