Language Minors in DeLC

Lancaster has a flexible approach to undergraduate study. Many degree schemes incorporate a minor in other subjects to complement your major subject.

First year studies

Many students choose to study Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish in the first year of their studies, either at intensive or advanced level. Our courses support you to develop language skills and also to appreciate the nature and diversity of different cultures. The knowledge, skills and understanding you will pick up may be invaluable for practical use, travel, further study and international-level employment.

Advanced level

You will follow the first year course of a degree in languages and your A or AS (or equivalent) level in Chinese, French, German or Spanish. Employers value those offering language skills at this level, a level where you can really use your language in the workplace.

Intensive level

Languages are the key to the exciting multinational world we live in, so this might be the opportunity you have been waiting for: starting Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish from scratch. Our Intensive language courses are designed to give students the opportunity to develop their foreign language and culture skills, have good conversational skills, and to equip them grammatically and linguistically for further study, if they so choose.

Further information on our first year courses.

Read more about our flexible study.

Second and final year studies

At the end of the first year you can choose to continue your languages in two main ways:

It is possible to continue with a reduced amount of modules to make a minor part of your degree. This will help to differentiate your degree when you enter the job market.

  • A minor in Italian can be incorporated into a single major language degree. Further information.
  • ITAL200i/201i and ITAL300i/301i can be incorporated into any degree that can release one unit (30 credits) in both second and final year. Further information on Italian courses.
  • Any second year French, German and Spanish course can be taken by a student who has successfully completed part 1 in the relevant language (or can prove that they have the equivalent level) either in their second or final year as a major, joint major or minor subject. More information on our second year courses.

If you have got particular value from your language study, you can continue with your language study after the first year for the whole degree (including a year abroad). For example you can combine it with what you originally came to study and then graduate with a joint honours degree.