Student Law Society
Our student Law Society provides information and support for all students to help them in both their current studies and future career prospects. The society offers a number of opportunities and events to develop and enhance the skills required for graduates to be successful in whichever career they aspire to, as well as helping students stand out from the crowd.
The events run by the Law Society include:
- Two internal mooting competitions - one for beginners and a main mooting competition - with questions written mirroring areas taught on the Law degrees. These mooting problems are written by both society members and academics in the Law School. Our competitions are judged by local legal professionals and judges.
- External mooting competitions, including participating in the VIS moot, the second-largest moot in the world. The society also fields a team to compete as part of the Roses Competition against York University.
- A Negotiation Competition judged by local lawyers, for those students with a more commercial focus.
- A packed careers programme throughout the year, including talks and workshops from solicitors firms and barristers chambers from around the country. The two flagship events in the careers calendar are the Law Careers Fair and the annual Careers Dinner. Both offer fantastic opportunities for students to network with prospective employers from both national and international law firms.
- A variety of Pro-bono activities, the including our annual Pro-bono week, offering students a chance to give back to the community.
- Academic support to students, helping them to achieve their potential in their studies. This is done through peer led support, as well as our academic debating series.
- Sports teams - a football and a netball team - which compete in the university leagues, as well as against teams from Law firms.
- A vibrant social calendar helping students to relax and make friends. Our annual Law Ball is the highlight and always a sell-out. We also hold a summer BBQ to celebrate the end of exams and run an annual overseas trip, which in previous years has visited Berlin, Barcelona and Amsterdam.