Book a FHM Library Research Appointment
Need help finding literature for your assignment or dissertation? Struggling to find relevant and credible medical literature?
with John Barbrook or Louise Speakman - the Faculty Librarians for Health and Medicine.
In a one to one appointment we can:
- Review what you have already done to find literature for your assignment or thesis, and suggest alternative approaches
- Explore Library resources to identify the most relevant for your needs
- Look at a range of advanced database features to help you find the most relevant literature
Appointments are open to students of all levels: Undergraduate, Postgraduate Taught or Research. Feel free to book if you are a member of staff too!
When booking a Library Research Appointment, please provide some information about:
- The assignment, topic or research you are working on
- Any particular aspects of finding literature that you would like help with
If you can't make any of the available times, please email John or Louise via email@example.com to arrange an alternative time that suits you. Appointments can be scheduled by telephone or Skype if you are working off-campus.
Research Appointments can last up to a maximum of fifty minutes. Bookings must be made with at least 24 hours notice. Library staff reserve the right to cancel or reschedule an appointment once a booking has been made.
Research Appointments are focused on the search and exploration aspects of literature searching. For opportunities to develop your academic writing and wider academic skills see FHM Learning Development.
Can a librarian devise my search strategy for me?
Librarians cannot devise search strategies for students. We can offer advice, training and feedback on:
- choosing where to search
- using Library databases
- formulating searches, for example using Boolean, keywords and subject headings
- saving and exporting searches and results
- using reference management software, specifically EndNote
For members of staff who need assistance devising searches for a review, we are happy to meet to discuss your project and offer advice and training. We don't currently offer a literature searching or information specialist service, or have a chargeable service that you can cost in to your project. At some times of year we may have more capacity than others. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your needs.