Open Access Funding
Where do I find the money to pay OA publishing costs?
Funding may be available to assist with Gold Open Access fees.
UKRI (formerly RCUK) Block Grant
Please apply for funding if the following apply:
- you are the principal/corresponding author
- the green open access route is not a compliant option (except where Publish and Read deals exist with publishers - see our Prepayments page for further details)
- you are publishing in an open access journal
Email firstname.lastname@example.org once your paper has been accepted and you have created a record of it in Pure. Please include the title of your paper in your email.
The Library will carry out administrative checks on your funding application, after which a decision should be made within 3 working days.
More information about the UKRI block grant:
From 1 April 2013, UKRI issued research organisations (including Lancaster) with a block grant to help meet the cost of open access via the Gold pay-to-publish route. From this date it is no longer possible for individual grant applications to UKRI to request funding for pay-to-publish Article Processing Fees (APCs). Lancaster University has received a block grant to support Gold open access.
This policy will affect anyone funded by the following Research Councils:
- Arts & Humanities Research Council
- Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council
- Economic & Social Research Council
- Medical Research Council
- Natural Environment Research Council
- Science & Technology Facilities Research Council
In summary, the main points of the UKRI OA policy are:
- Open Access can be through the Gold route (often pay-to-publish via the publisher's platform) and a record of the research output should be added to Lancaster's institutional repository (Pure) and also an appropriate subject repository if desired
- The author can apply for Gold Open Access funding, while there is available block grant funding
- All publications must be available on Open Access within six months of the publication date with the exception of AHRC and ESRC funded papers which must be available within a 12 month period
- To check if a journal in which you wish to publish complies with your funder's requirements for open access please see the SHERPA/FACT tool
- For Gold Open Access, the selected publisher must support the Creative Commons 'Attribution' licence - CC-BY - which allows unrestricted use of manual and automated text and data mining tools, as well as unrestricted re-use of content with proper attribution. This is to maximise exposure to the research findings
- For Green Open Access your author accepted manuscript should be accompanied by a CC BY-NC licence to be compliant with UKRI's OA policy (NB Elsevier only allows a CC BY-NC-ND licence for the green open access route and therefore this is not compliant)
- Research papers must include a statement on how the underlying research materials can be accessed
- Funding information must be included within the acknowledgement section of a paper
For further information please see the RCUK policy on Open Access.
Directory of Open Access Journals is an online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals.
Lancaster University Funding
Some faculties (FASS, FHM and LUMS) have provided funding to pay for Gold Open Access charges for their academic staff. The following criteria must apply:
- the research paper is likely to be rated as 4* in the next REF
- the chosen journal is the most appropriate place to publish and does not offer a compliant green route or is an open access only journal. Check Sherpa Romeo for details of a journal's self-archiving policy. If you are unsure, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
Please apply for funding by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org once your paper has been accepted and you have created a record of it in Pure. Please include the title of your paper in your email. Funding will be subject to approval by your Research Director.
If you are an academic within FST and have queries about non-RCUK open access funding please contact the Research Director in your department.
If you have any further queries on Open Access please contact email@example.com
Lancaster Open Access Policy: