UKRI New Open Access Policy
From 1st April 2022 a new UKRI Open Access Policy comes into effect. This will affect both research articles and monographs. The main changes are summarised below.
Peer Reviewed Research Articles
From 1st April 2022
- Peer reviewed research articles submitted from this date must be made open access immediately upon publication with no embargo. Open Access can be managed either through the green or gold routes. Please note the university’s Open Access Policy still applies, which requires the Author Accepted Manuscript to be made Open Access within 3 months of acceptance. This is also in line with the current REF policy.
- All articles must be published with a CC-BY licence (more restrictive CC-BY licences may be acceptable on a case by case basis). For Green OA routes, a standard statement should be included to this effect in the acknowledgements in the document and any covering letters or notes in the submission:
‘For the purpose of open access, the author has applied a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence [where permitted by UKRI, ‘Open Government Licence’ or ‘Creative Commons Attribution No -derivatives (CC BY-ND) licence’ may be stated instead] to any Author Accepted Manuscript version arising’
- All articles must include a data access statement even where there are no data associated with the article or the data are inaccessible. Please note that a direction for interested parties to contact the author is not normally sufficient for a data access statement.
From 1st January 2024, new open access requirements will come into effect for monographs published from this date (including books, edited book chapters and edited collections). The main impacts of this are:
- The final Version of Record or the Author’s Accepted Manuscript must be free to view and download via an online publication platform, publishers’ website, or institutional or subject repository within a maximum of 12 months of publication
- The OA version of the publication must have a CC-BY licence including as many images, illustrations, tables and other supported content as possible
- Where an Author’s Accepted Manuscript is deposited, it should be made clear that this is not the final published version.
For more information please see the following UKRI resources:
In addition, the library is here to help with any questions regarding compliance with the new policy. Please email email@example.com with any enquiries.