Depositing your Dataset via Pure
Initially, we would suggest looking for a national or subject based repository, and you can search for a suitable one at re3data.org. Some funders have a preferred external repository and you can check this at Lancaster University funder expectations.
We would be very grateful, if you do choose an external repository, if you could also upload the metadata and externally generated DOI into Pure, as a record for us to know where you have deposited.
For all other datasets, you can deposit to Lancaster University's institutional repository via Pure. Depositing your data with Lancaster University's research data repository Pure keeps it preserved for at least 10 years and increases its visibility. Data becomes available (subject to embargo periods and access restrictions) for download on our Research Directory.
Pure allows you to deposit and publish your datasets easily. There are no restrictions on file type and size (although if individual data files are larger than 20GB please get in touch before depositing). We recommend using Google Chrome when uploading as other browsers have upload restrictions.
In order to deposit your data please do the following:
- Log into Pure:
- On your Pure personal overview page, the Datasets option is within the left hand menu. Clicking the + button will allow you to add a new dataset. A new template will open up for you to add details of the dataset.
- Any fields with a red * must be completed. These are Title, People, Dataset managed by, Publisher and Date made available. Your record will not save unless you have filled them in. We also ask that you fill in the description section, providing as rich a description of your data as you can at this point. Please fill in other fields if you think they will be useful.
- In the Data availability section you can add your data files to Electronic data. All file formats are accepted and you can add multiple files at once.
- Please choose an appropriate Data Licence (CC-BY or other)and Type (eg Dataset, Image) to all files. Click OK.
- In Relations to other content, link your dataset to Publications, Projects or other Datasets in Pure.
- At the bottom of the page under Status, save the record as For Validation.
You will receive a DOI for your dataset record within 2 working days. You need the DOI to reference your dataset in a Data Access Statement in your publication.
There is some additional written guidance available at Creating a Dataset in Pure Walkthrough (pdf) and a video tutorial available at How to Upload a Dataset Into Pure (Microsoft Stream, internal access) if you need more detailed information on any of the steps above.