Fees and Accommodation

‌Find out where you can live and what financial support options are avaliable for your postgraduate studies.

‌Accommodation during your studies

As the Department cannot be responsible for your accommodation while you are studying with us, please see the University’s Postgraduate Accommodation pages for advice on the alternatives available to you.

If you are a full-time postgraduate student from outside of the EU you are guaranteed single on campus accommodation for the first year of study if you complete your online application by 15 August (having already sent firm acceptance of a place on a full-time course of nine months or more, beginning in September or October). EU students receive the same guarantee if a residence application is returned by 1 August.

Whether you intend to study full-time or part-time, you will need to make your accommodation arrangements well before you arrive in Lancaster. You are most likely to get the kind of accommodation you seek if your period of time with us coincides with the university’s academic terms and especially if you are at Lancaster from October to September each year.

If you plan to study with us on a part-time basis, finding accommodation can be more difficult. As noted above, part-time researchers are normally expected to be in Lancaster for more intensive periods of work and contact with supervisors during each year of study. You are strongly advised to agree a mutually convenient period of residence in Lancaster with your supervisor each year and you should try to make this time coincide with periods when accommodation is likely to be available. If you come in mid-term for shorter periods than a term, you are likely to find it more difficult to find accommodation.

Whatever your plans, once you have been offered a place to study with us and you have a clear idea of your likely period (or periods) of residence, you will need (i) to agree this time with your supervisor, and (ii) to obtain a firm offer of accommodation through one or other of the two university offices referred to above.

Campus accommodation

Once the accommodation application site opens in the spring the university will send an email to all students that have accepted a place on a postgraduate course, inviting them to apply for accommodation. You must have confirmed your place with the University before you are able to make an application.

Graduate college accommodation enquiries:

The Graduate Residence Officer
Graduate College
Lancaster University

Email: gcro@lancaster.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1524 593342

Off-campus accommodation

LUSU Living is a dedicated housing service for postgraduates wanting to live off campus.

Off-campus accommodation enquiries:

Bowland College
Lancaster University

Tel: +44 (0)1524 592170
Email: lusu.living@lancaster.ac.uk

‌Financial support and fees

When you apply, you will need to indicate your likely source of financial support during your studies. You should therefore investigate possible sources of finance as soon as you can. See funding opportunitiesfor details of current scholarships and bursaries available in the department. If you are applying for the MPhil or PhD, it is very strongly recommended that you seek possible sources of financial support for the full period of your study.

Many students have been supported by their employing institutions. Several overseas students have received scholarships from the British Council or the Association of Commonwealth Universities. If you are from an overseas country you should, where possible, contact your local British Council office concerning the procedure for applying for relevant awards. Some British students have received grants from the Overseas Development Administration, the British Academy, the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC), the Arts and Humanities Research Board (AHRB) or local education authorities. A high proportion of students in the past have supported themselves from personal savings or from loans.

Postgraduate Taught Tuition Fees are displayed on individual programme pages that can be found via the course list.

Details of fees and charges for residence on the university campus are usually finalised in February for the following academic year. 

A local library or institution of higher education, or the British Council should be able to advise you on the addresses of the various bodies that offer grants and scholarships for research study. You will need to be able to find out the application procedures for such awards and the likely closing dates by which your application should be submitted. It is important that you devote time to this now because we sometimes have to reject worthy applicants because there is doubt about financial support during their period of study.