The English for Academic Purposes (Study Skills) Programme is for international students intending to study at Lancaster University who are required or wish to improve their English language and study skills before starting their degree course.
The programme helps you to:
- develop the language skills you need for academic study at Lancaster University
- prepare you for studying and living in the Lancaster area.
The main emphasis is on academic reading and writing skills, as these are very important for your later study. Speaking and listening skills are also covered, together with integrated work on language use in an academic context. We also provide tutorials (one-to-one discussions) to help you individually with your study needs, especially in relation to academic writing.
The course typically includes the following components
- Academic Reading and Writing: The reading and writing skills you need for intensive study in higher education - adopting different strategies for different reading purposes; critically evaluating key texts; organising essays and reports; using an appropriate writing style.
- Listening Comprehension: How to follow academic lectures and seminars and make useful notes.
- Speaking Skills: How to take part in seminars (group discussions) - asking and responding to questions, giving and justifying opinions, making presentations and learning from feedback.
- Language Development: This is an integral part of all our course components. The focus is on how language is used to express specific meanings in different academic contexts, especially in written assignments.
The course is full-time, with periods set aside for self-directed study.