Linguistics and English Language
Offer Holder Events
Come and meet us to discover more about Linguistics at Lancaster. Our bespoke applicant events are taking place on:
Saturday 28 January 2023 (campus event)
Saturday 25 February 2023 (campus event)
Wednesday 8 March 2023 (digital)
Saturday 11 March 2023 (campus event)
Saturday 25 March 2023 (campus event)
Wednesday 10 May 2023 (digital)
About your course
Browse the information on this page to find out more about your course, and use the contacts section to get in touch if you have any questions. We'd love to hear from you!
- English Language BA Hons: Q304
- English Language (Placement Year) BA Hons: Q305
- English Language (Study Abroad) BA Hons: Q311
- English Language and Chinese Studies BA Hons: TQ13
- English Language and Creative Writing BA Hons: Q3WV
- English Language and Creative Writing (Placement Year) BA Hons: Q4WV
- English Language and Creative Writing (Study Abroad) BA Hons: Q5WV
- English Language and French Studies BA Hons: QR31
- English Language and German Studies BA Hons: QR32
- English Language and Linguistics BA Hons: QQC3
- English Language and Linguistics (Placement Year) BA Hons: QQC4
- English Language and Linguistics (Study Abroad) BA Hons: QQC6
- English Language and Literature BA Hons: Q302
- English Language and Literature (Placement Year) BA Hons: Q303
- English Language and Literature (Study Abroad) BA Hons: Q306
- English Language and Spanish Studies BA Hons: QR34
- French Studies and Linguistics BA Hons: QR11
- German Studies and Linguistics BA Hons: QR12
- Linguistics BA Hons: Q100
- Linguistics (Placement Year) BA Hons: Q101
- Linguistics (Study Abroad) BA Hons: Q103
- Linguistics and Philosophy BA Hons: QV15
- Linguistics and Philosophy (Placement Year) BA Hons: QV16
- Linguistics and Philosophy (Study Abroad) BA Hons: QV17
- Psychology and Linguistics BA Hons: CQ81
- Spanish Studies and Linguistics BA Hons: QR14
Chat with Ellie
Message Ellie with any questions about student life and studying at Lancaster. No question is too basic! "I'm in my final year of my undergraduate degree in English Language and Linguistics at Lancaster University. I'm a member of Wind Orchestra and Baking Society. Ask me questions!"
Please get in touch if you have any questions about your course or your application.
Don't forget you can also contact your student ambassador!
About your application
Contact: Undergraduate Admissions
About your course
George Brown and Professor Elena Semino, Admissions Tutors for Linguistics and English Language
What you need to know
Here you will find out all you need to know about studying Linguistics and English Language at Lancaster University.
Enhance your studies with the opportunity of a lifetime. Choose a study abroad degree to take on a new challenge, boost your confidence and develop new skills.
We offer paid research internships to second and third year Linguistics and English Language undergraduates.
Explore our facilities
The Department has some outstanding resources. We have fully equipped laboratories for eye-tracking, phonetics, EEG (Electroencephalography) and child language analysis. These facilities are used by undergraduate students, postgraduate students and staff for a variety of research projects.Research Facilities
Hi, I’m Sonia, a third and final year Linguistics student in Bowland College, from Surrey in south east England.
Studying Linguistics, I like to look at language, and as a self-confessed crime-show addict I’m hoping to go into Forensic Linguistics, looking at language to help the law.
I love travelling and exploring new places, probably a reason for studying so far from home. I also spent my second year studying abroad in Ottawa, Canada. It was definitely an experience I’ll never forget, so I’m more than happy to help anyone interested! I’ve written some blogs about my experience on the Linguistics and English Language Study Abroad Blog page.
This year I’m living in town in Lancaster with four friends, all of whom I love spending time with – one of my housemates I actually met through the year abroad process. I also love brunching or drinking cocktails in a bar, and watching films. Living so close to London, I am partial to a day of shopping and going to the theatre. More recently, I’ve got back into baking, making fancy cupcakes for my housemates. Other hobbies of mine include dancing and playing with my new puppy Kody.
I’m really looking forward to working on different projects this year as a FASS DCA, and sharing different aspects of my Uni experience. You can also find me here on Instagram: @soniafrenchh
My passion for language
Studying a BA in English Language and Linguistics was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The range of modules, quality of teaching and level of personal and academic support in the Department is excellent. The academic staff at Lancaster are both world-renowned and extremely approachable, meaning you are engaging with world-leading research throughout your undergraduate degree.
From studying Linguistics at Lancaster I have developed as both an academic and a person, made great friends, furthered my passion for language and gained the skills I need for my continued study at Lancaster and my future career.
Emily Peach, BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics
In the UK for Linguistics
Times Good University Guide 2023
In the UK for Linguistics Graduate Prospects
Times Good University Guide 2023
In the World for Linguistics
QS World Subject Rankings 2022