Dr Yehia ElkhatibSenior Lecturer
Dr Yehia Elkhatib is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) at the School of Computing and Communications of Lancaster University, UK, where he leads the Distributed Systems group. He co-leads the Data Acquisition & Infrastructure Theme at the Centre of Excellence in Environmental Data Science (CEEDS). He is also a visiting professor at Ecole de Technologie Superieure, Montreal. His work aims to enable distributed applications to traverse infrastructural boundaries. In the context of cloud computing, this entails looking into interoperability and migration challenges, as well as related decision support issues. Yehia is the creator and chair of the international Cross-Cloud workshop series. Beyond the cloud, Yehia works on border-free network architectures in intent-driven systems, systems of systems, and information centric networks. He also works on advocating network-awareness which involves measuring networked systems, evaluating network protocols, and proposing new network management strategies.
I have been the convenor for two PG modules (taught to a mixed cohort from 3 different MSc programmes) and one UG module, all for which I have consistently received positive feedback. I have also re-designed a new PG module.
- SCC311 (2016-2020)
- SCC411 (2018-2020)
- SCC460 (2015-2018)
- PhD Admissions Tutor (2019 - present) I am working on redesigning the process to improve aspects of transparency and fairness, and also to reduce application turnaround delays.
- PGT Assessment Officer (2015 - 2019) Next to working to maintain academic standards and quality through formal processes, I have redesigned the project marking forms in all our 5 MSc programmes, introduced a lightweight moderation process to ensure fair marking across all projects and to challenge boundary marks, and also designed an online system for submitting and tracking MSc dissertation marking forms.
- Athena SWAN Lead (2017 - 2019) I lead the writing and submitted the application for which SCC was awarded the Athena SWAN Bronze Award in Sept 2017 on first submission. I now lead the self-assessment team who implements an ambitious action plan that is changing many aspects of SCC, not least of which is its culture.
Member of the Steering Committee of the CrossCloud Workshop Series, having founded the event in 2014.
Lead Guest Editor of the Journal of Internet Services and Applications thematic series on Cross-Cloud Computing (2015 - present).
Memeber of the TPC of several ACM and IEEE conferences such as CoNEXT, CNSM, DAIS, ICN, IM, and SAC.
- PhD (2011) in Network Measurement & Grid Computing, Lancaster University, UK.
- MSc with Distinction (2006) in Networking and Internet Systems, Lancaster University, UK.
- BSc (2002) in Computer & Systems Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt.
Aug 2019 – present
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor), SCC, Lancaster University.
Oct 2015 – Jul 2019
Lecturer (Assistant Professor), SCC, Lancaster University.
Jan 2018 – present
Visiting Professor, École de Technologie Supérieure Montreal.
Nov 2010 – Sept 2015
Senior Research Associate, SCC, Lancaster University.
Worked on EVOp (NERC) and FIC2 (FP7) projects.
Feb 2014 – Feb 2015
Technical Consultant on the EVOKES project (NERC/BIS).
Nov 2006 – Jan 2010
Research Assistant, Computing Dept, Lancaster University.
Worked on EC-GIN (FP6) project.
Sep 2005 – Sep 2006
Network Surveillance Agent, Orange Business Services.
PhD Supervision Interests
I am interested in supervising students in any of the following topics: - Cloud brokerage and adaptive decision support - Intent Driven Networking - Fog computing services of different types, and managing their hosting on micro-clouds - Decentralised Internet infrastructures, especially for disaster recovery - Opportunistic networking, and opportunistic composition of distributed systems - Measuring online systems, such as social networks and web infrastructures - Augmented machine learning
Widening the Circle of Engagement Around Environmental Issues using Cloud-based Tools
Elkhatib, Y., Gemmell, A., Vitolo, C., Wilkinson, M., Mackay, E., Percy, B.J., Blair, G., Gurney, R. 31/10/2019
A Modelling Language to Support Evolution of Multi-Tenant Cloud Data Architectures
Jumagaliyev, A., Elkhatib, Y. 21/11/2019
Cloud Brokerage: A Systematic Survey
Elhabbash, A., Samreen, F., Hadley, J., Elkhatib, Y. 02/2019 In: ACM Computing Surveys. 51, 6, p. 1-28. 28 p.
Adaptive Deep Learning Model Selection on Embedded Systems
Taylor, B., Sanz Marco, V., Wolff, W., Elkhatib, Y., Wang, Z. 19/06/2018
On using micro-clouds to deliver the fog
Elkhatib, Y., Porter, B.F., B. Ribeiro, H., Zhani, M.F., Qadir, J., Rivière, E. 1/03/2017 In: IEEE Internet Computing. 21, 2, p. 8-15. 8 p.
Daleel: simplifying cloud instance selection using machine learning
Samreen, F., El Khatib, Y., Rowe, M.C., Blair, G.S. 25/04/2016
Adaptive Service Deployment using In-Network Mediation
Elhabbash, A., Blair, G.S., Tyson, G., Elkhatib, Y. 24/12/2018
Unsupervised Machine Learning for Networking: Techniques, Applications and Research Challenges
Usama, M., Qadir, J., Raza, A., Arif, H., Yau, K.A., Elkhatib, Y., Hussain, A., Al-Fuqaha, A. 14/05/2019 In: IEEE Access. 7, p. 65579 - 65615. 38 p.
It bends but would it break?: topological analysis of BGP infrastructures in Europe
Frey, S.A.F., El Khatib, Y., Rashid, A., Szmagalska-Follis, K., Vidler, J.E., Race, N.J.P., Edwards, C.J. 21/03/2016
Just browsing?: understanding user journeys in online TV
Elkhatib, Y., Killick, R., Mu, M., Race, N. 11/2014
Can SPDY really make the web faster?
Elkhatib, Y., Tyson, G., Welzl, M. 06/2014
Web technologies for environmental big data
Vitolo, C., Elkhatib, Y., Reusser, D., Macleod, C.J., Buytaert, W. 01/2015 In: Environmental Modelling and Software. 63, p. 185-198. 14 p.
Adaptive Brokerage for the Cloud
01/01/2018 → 30/06/2021
Declarative and Interoperable Overlay Networks, Applications to Systems of Systems (DIONASYS)
01/12/2014 → 30/12/2018
01/11/2013 → 31/12/2014
NERC Environmental Big Data Project
01/05/2013 → 01/05/2014
Environmental Virtual Observatory pilot
01/11/2011 → 31/12/2013
Europe-China Grid InterNetworking
01/11/2007 → 31/01/2010
Security Lancaster, Security Lancaster (Systems Security)
- Centre of Excellence in Environmental Data Science
- DSI - Environment
- SCC (Distributed Systems)
- Security Lancaster
- Security Lancaster (Distributed Systems)
- Security Lancaster (Systems Security)