What social workers do

The following websites are likely to be useful to you in developing your understanding of social work as a profession.

They are all externally provided and Lancaster University cannot be held responsible for their content.

Health and Care Professions Council

The HCPC is the regulating body for social work and other health and care professionals. It keeps a register of health and care professionals (including social workers) who meet the Standards of Proficiency that it sets. 

Visit HCPC website

NHS Business Services Authority

The NHSBA administers the social work bursary for students ordinarily resident in England. 

Visit NHSBA website

Social Work Action Network (SWAN)

SWAN is a network of social work practitioners, academics, students and social welfare service users that promotes a model of social work rooted in social justice. 

Visit SWAN website