STOR Research at Lancaster
The Statistics and Operational Research (STOR) group is among the largest and most influential in Europe with a combined academic staff of more than 40 academic staff. We have internationally recognized expertise that ranges widely across forecasting, optimization, simulation, statistical modelling and inference, with a particularly strong focus on computationally intensive approaches. A sustained record of research excellence is evidenced by the Group being ranked in the top five universities in the UK in every 5-year review (RAE/REF) since 1992. Other indicators of Lancaster’s leadership of the STOR discipline include:
- Current research grant income is over £10M from a range of funders including several national research councils;
- Leading national and international research programmes, e.g. the £13M LANCS Initiative (Glazebrook), £2.4M i-like programme grant (Fearnhead); £2.8M StatScale programme (Eckley, Fearnhead) and the £2.3M OR-MASTER programme (Zografos, Glazebrook).
- Eglese was President of the OR Society in 2012 while Diggle is currently President of the Royal Statistical Society;
- Major awards from the Royal Statistical Society (Diggle, Fearnhead, Tawn, Wadsworth), the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (Glazebrook, Nelson, Zografos) and the Operational Research Society (Pidd, Zografos), Adams Prize (Fearnhead) and Edgeworth-Pareto (Ehrgott);
- Leading workshops at the Isaac Newton Institute, e.g. Polynomial Optimisation (Letchford), Inference for Change-Point and Related Processes (Eckley and Fearnhead);
- Two of the five academic STOR members on the mathematical sciences sub-panel for REF2014 are LU staff (Fearnhead, Glazebrook).