Resuming Your Studies After A Period Of Intercalation

  • You will be advised in your intercalation approval letter, when to expect correspondence and guidance from the university regarding resuming your studies. You must notify us of any change of address.

  • In this correspondence any conditions set for your intercalation will be listed and you must ensure they are met so your resumption can be confirmed.

  • At this point you will have the option of resuming your studies, withdrawing from the university, or requesting a further period of intercalation (Adviser to sought approval). If a student withdraws after a period of intercalation, the fee will be recalculated in line with the withdrawal guidance at:-( .

  • You must complete and return these documents to finalise this process and confirm your intentions.

  • Visa national students must attend the Registry with their current passport and visa when they resume their studies at Lancaster. Under the current Tier 4 visa immigration rules we are required to keep a copy of these documents.

Evidence that you are fit to resume your studies (if specified as a condition at the point your intercalation is approved)

Your medical evidence needs to be accurate, recent (produced within the last 3 months) and provided by a qualified medical practitioner. Normally we would expect that your medical practitioner is based in the UK. We also consider medical evidence provided by a practitioner outside of the UK but this should always be accompanied by a certified translation.

We send you a template form alongside your intercalation approval letter and with your invitation to resume your studies. We would not normally accept medical evidence which is produced by a close relative even if s/he is medically qualified.

If you cannot complete the form a letter would then be needed. The medical evidence is expected to cover the following key points:

  • name of the health condition or impairment

  • date of diagnosis

  • period of time that you have been seeing the practitioner for this condition or impairment

  • length of time that the practitioner expects the condition or impairment to last

  • main symptoms of this condition which could impact on your life or studies, for example mobility impairment, loss of concentration

  • current treatment and medication being undertaken

  • side effects of any treatments or medication

Evidence must be dated and signed by the medical practitioner. Evidence must be provided by using the form or on letter headed paper or stamped, but can be sent electronically.

If you are providing medical evidence in support of a request to resume your studies after a period of interruption, we also expect your medical practitioner to comment on the following:

  • your studies will not be detrimental to your health

  • possibility of relapse

  • arrangements for on-going support if these are needed

  • your support network

It is possible that not all of the points mentioned above will be relevant to your health condition. In order to help your health practitioner produce medical evidence that is as thorough and accurate as possible, you may wish to share the information on this webpage with them.


We hope that your period of intercalation was useful and that you are now able to take up your studies and complete your degree.

You will have been sent a form which lists any conditions to be met, and asking you to confirm your intention to return. When you have confirmed your intention to return, and we are satisfied that the conditions have been met, we will then:

  • write to you confirming that all is in order for your return

  • write to your funding body confirming your return, if you have made an application. If you are intercalating mid-academic year, you should still apply for your funding for the start of the academic year you are due back. This is because we then have to suspend your funding and submit a resumption, amending fees, for the term in which you are resuming. If you apply for funding late then this could delay your loan instalments due to processing times at Student Finance.

  • send a circular to all concerned within the University confirming your return

If you respond quickly to the initial letter and return the form promptly, this can usually be done in good time for the start of term.


Tuition Fee Loan and Student Loan

You should contact your funder to check that all necessary arrangements are in place for any financial support to which you are entitled (for example, tuition fee loan, maintenance loan). Further details can be found at:

Course Enrolment

If you have any queries or concerns regarding your course enrolment and course choices you should contact your department(s). You should also check if there have been any changes in the course structures, timetables and/or marking systems (including penalties for late submission of work).


If you need campus accommodation you should contact your College Residence Officer to see what is available. Call on 01524 5 followed by the extension number:-

Bowland Alison Platt ext. 94498

Cartmel Andrea Townsend ext. 92455

County Jacqui Brian ext. 94699/94307

Furness Michelle Wood /Andrew Gibson ext. 94288

Fylde Denise Routledge ext. 92683

Grizedale Tracy Hargreaves ext. 92610

Lonsdale Louise Lawless ext. 94970

Pendle ext. 94502

For off-campus accommodation you should contact the LUSU Housing Office on extensions 94003 or 92170, or private letting agencies.

Student Visa

You will need to apply for a new tier 4 student visa approximately 3 months before you are due to return. You will also need to ask for a new CAS. Please contact