Consumer Culture and Advertising
This module explores how consumption, advertising, branding and promotion shape society. In the module we will ask questions such as:
- Why do many people find shopping so appealing?
- How does consumption relate to our identities, our hopes and our futures?
- What is consumption doing to the world? Are we shopping ourselves to death?
- Does consumption shape inequalities – both at a national and global level?
- How does advertising and branding speak to us?
- Do we now live in a ‘promotional culture’ in which we must ‘sell ourselves’?
- Why do some people resist consumer culture?