This module aims to provide you with:
- an understanding of the history and highly evolving status of forensic linguistics
- an understanding of the nature of forensic linguistics, including its applications and limits
- an appreciation of the difference between the broader and more narrowly defined notions of forensic linguistics
- the ability to carry out basic analyses of a variety of written and spoken texts from the point of view of language and the law
- an understanding of some of the difficulties in writing up, presenting, and using scientific evidence in a court of law.