English for Academic Purposes (Study Skills)
The English for Academic Purposes (Study Skills) Programme is for international students intending to study at Lancaster University, and who are required or wish to improve their English language and study skills before starting their degree studies.
Tab Content: Programme Outline
The English for Academic Purposes (Study Skills) Programme is a 4-week programme for international students intending to study at Lancaster University who are required or wish to improve their English language and study skills before starting their degree course.
The programme helps you to:
- develop the language skills you need for academic study at Lancaster University
- prepare you for studying and living in the Lancaster area.
The main emphasis is on academic reading and writing skills, as these are very important for your later study. Speaking and listening skills are also covered, together with integrated work on language use in an academic context. We also provide tutorials (one-to-one discussions) to help you individually with your study needs, especially in relation to academic writing.
The course typically includes the following components
- Academic Reading and Writing: The reading and writing skills you need for intensive study in higher education - adopting different strategies for different reading purposes; critically evaluating key texts; organising essays and reports; using an appropriate writing style.
- Listening Comprehension: How to follow academic lectures and seminars and make useful notes.
- Speaking Skills: How to take part in seminars (group discussions) - asking and responding to questions, giving and justifying opinions, making presentations and learning from feedback.
- Language Development: This is an integral part of all our course components. The focus is on how language is used to express specific meanings in different academic contexts, especially in written assignments.
The course is full-time, with periods set aside for self-directed study.
Tab Content: Accommodation
There is no separate accommodation procedure. Once you have accepted the offer of a place on the EAP (Study Skills) Programme and paid your deposit (if applicable) you will automatically be allocated a room on campus. The Global Experiences Office will email you before the programme with further details.
On-campus, single, self-catering study-bedrooms are available for all English for Academic Purposes (Study Skills) Programme students. Accommodation costs for 2020 will be approximately £140.00 per week. To help with your integration into campus life for the duration of the EAP (Study Skills) programme you will be placed in flats together with all the other students attending the same course. You will live in on-campus accommodation in one of the Colleges which has been allocated for our summer programmes until the last Wednesday of the course, at which time you will then be asked to move to your term-time room if you are staying on campus.
Students can make use of all the resources of the University, including the Library, the extensive Sports Centre, the public computer laboratories and the University Health Centre.