Frequently Asked Questions for One Semester or One Year Options

Q. Can anyone study abroad?

A. Most Lancaster undergraduates have the opportunity to go abroad as part of their degree. However please check with your department as there are a few exceptions.

Q. Will the courses I take abroad count towards my Lancaster degree?

A. Yes. The grades you achieve at your host university will be translated back and count to your Lancaster degree.

Q. Where can I go?

A. Currently we have around 60 active partners overseas and another 80 partners in Europe. Due to the reciprocal nature of study abroad exchanges however, we can never guarantee places at all our partners will be available in any given year.

Q. When do I go?

A. You will usually go abroad for a full year in your 2nd year if you are studying on a 3 year degree or are on a BBA or MEng degree. If you are on a 4 year degree such as MPhys or MSci you will spend your 3rd year abroad. Accounting and Finance majors can only study abroad during the Michaelmas term of the final year. BBA Management, Business Studies and Economics students have the option to study abroad during the Michaelmas Term of their final year or for a full year in their second year.

Q. When do I apply?

A. You will need to apply at the end of the Michaelmas term, in the academic year before you will study abroad eg Michaelmas 2018 to study abroad in 2019/20.

Q. How much will it cost?

A. For a full year abroad, you will pay 15% of your usual tuition fees to Lancaster University and none to your host university. For one semester abroad, you will continue to pay your full tuition fees to Lancaster.

You will be responsible for all other costs including flights, insurance and living costs.

Please see the Cost of Living section for more information.

Q. Is there any financial support available?

A. You may be eligible to apply for a scholarship. Please see the Scholarships section for more information. You will still be able to apply for a student loan.

Q. Will I need a visa?

A. It is extremely likely that you will need a visa or study permit. You should check specific visa requirements on the country's Embassy/consulate website.

See the Visas section for more information.

Q. Will I need any vaccinations before travelling?

A. All students going abroad should make an appointment with their GP to check health requirements. You will find a list of vaccinations recommended for each country here.

Q. What support is there to help me through the process?

A. There is a dedicated Global Experiences team who will guide you through the process. We hold regular workshops and run drop in sessions two times a week in term time. If you have any questions, please email us at