Experience Malaysia with Sunway University
20 June - 12 July: Participate in a fascinating three weeks at Sunway University, taking advantage of all the opportunities Kuala Lumpur has to offer.
As you will be aware there is an outbreak of the virus Covid-19 which is affecting travel to some areas. Current staff and students can check our internal information pages for updates.Information for current staff and students
Tab Content: Trip Overview
The Malaysian Experience is a 3-week programme that gives participants an opportunity to learn about Malaysia in the areas of culture, business, government, volunteerism and academics. At the end of the programme, Sunway hopes that participants are able to gain knowledge on the Malaysian culture and also expand their network across the globe.
- Cultural experiences: Kuala Lumpur City Tour, The Great Malaysian Food Tour, A Local Village Homestay
- Educational sessions: Religious diversity in Malaysia, Political Overview of a Developing Nation
- Community outreach: Impacting local communities by participating in and leading outreach programmes
- Business exposure: Learning how business is conducted from a Malaysian perspective and meeting influential business leaders
By completing this programme, students will:
- Understand and critically reflect on the harmony and complexity of the multicultural and multiracial nation of Malaysia
- Gain insight and make an impact on the local communities of a developing nation
- Build leadership and teamwork through daily activities and interactions with diverse populations
- Boost employability by building a global network, exercising reflective practice, and enhancing intercultural communication skills
- Develop resilience, adaptability and learn to cope with new experiences
Tab Content: Cost and Funding
Trip Fee Payable to Global Experiences: £1,295
This programme fee covers accommodation, all scheduled activities and most meals.
What isn't included in the fee?
- International Flight Costs: The Global Experiences team will arrange for a group international flight, which participants may opt on to. The cost for this year's flight is £740. You can opt into this flight during the trip application.
- Injections and medication: This will vary depending on which country option you choose. Participants should visit a travel clinic or nurse for advice before travelling. There is also advice available on the NHS Fit for Travel Website.
- Spending money for shopping and free time activities.
- Visa Costs: Most UK passport holders don’t need a visa to enter Malaysia. If you are not a UK passport holder you can find more information about the visa requirements to enter Malaysia by checking the Immigration Department of Malaysia's website.
- Travel to and from the UK departure airport
Can I apply for funding?
In 2018-19, 65% students who travelled on on a Global Experiences trip received some form of financial assistance. Students who are in receipt of a means-tested bursary from the University will likely be eligible to receive funding covering 60-75% of the programme fee. This funding can be applied for during the trip application process.
Students can also apply for a Santander Global Travel Award. More information about this scholarship can be found on the Santander Scholarships website.
More information about funding is available here.
Tab Content: Support for Travellers
All trip participants will be expected to attend a compulsory pre-departure training session on 27 May.
Participants will also be expected to attend a Cross-Cultural Training workshop. There will be various sessions happening in the Lent and Summer Terms, including ones on 20 or 21 May which will be tailored especially for people participating in a Global Experiences vacation programme.
Further resources for travellers can be found on the Global Experiences module on Moodle.
Tab Content: Key Facts
Key Facts About the Trip
Trip Dates: 20 June - 12 July
UK Departure Airport: Manchester
Estimated Number of Participants: 10-15 Lancaster University students. They will be joined by 10-15 students from other universities.
Deadline to apply: 19 April 2020
Sunway University Fact sheet: The Malaysian Experience - This includes a copy of the 2019 trip itinerary.
Tab Content: About Sunway Unviersity
Sunway University and Lancaster University established an academic partnership in 2006. Under this institutional arrangement, students are able to study on a range of undergraduate degree schemes and graduate from both Sunway University and Lancaster University. Students can study abroad for a full year, or take part in short term programmes.
For more information about the partnership between Lancaster University and Sunway University visit the partnership website.
What past participants had to say...
I had high expectations going into the trip, but they were exceeded. The staff at Sunway were brilliant.
An invaluable experience which has allowed me to grow as a person in several ways, including my communication skills, my patience and my team work skills.
I will be using these experiences for my post graduate application, so not only was the opportunity inspiring and rewarding, it is also very helpful in bolstering my application.