Explore Linguistics in Malaysia
30 March - 12 April: Travel to Malaysia to learn about the study of linguistics and English Language from an Asian perspective.
Tab Content: Trip Overview
Travel to Malaysia over the Easter break and see your subject from a new perspective. You will visit two Malaysian universities, including Lancaster's long standing partner Sunway University, and spend time learning about the people who make up in this multi-cultural Asian hub.
- Lectures from Malaysian academics on topics related to multicultural and multilingual education, teaching literature and translanguaging in educational settings
- Exploring the Malaysian rain forest with members of the native Orang Asli community
- Working on a video project around the topic of language acquisition
- Spending time at the Sunway University campus and meeting local students
You will be accompanied on this programme by Oksana Afitska, a lecturer in the Linguistics and English Language department.
Tab Content: Cost and Funding
Trip Fee Payable to Global Experiences: £995
This programme fee covers accommodation, all scheduled activities and most meals.
What isn't included in the fee?
- International Flight Costs: The Global Experiences team will arrange for a group international flight, which participants may opt on to. The estimated flight cost for this programme is £800. You can opt into this flight during the trip application.
- Injections and medication: This will vary depending on which country option you choose. Participants should visit a travel clinic or nurse for advice before travelling. There is also advice available on the NHS Fit for Travel Website.
- Spending money for shopping and free time activities.
- Visa Costs: Most UK passport holders don’t need a visa to enter Malaysia. If you are not a UK passport holder you can find more information about the visa requirements to enter Malaysia by checking the Immigration Department of Malaysia's website.
- Travel to and from the UK departure airport
Can I apply for funding?
In 2018-19, 65% students who travelled on on a Global Experiences trip received some form of financial assistance. Students who are in receipt of a means-tested bursary from the University will likely be eligible to receive funding covering 60-75% of the programme fee. This funding can be applied for during the trip application process.
Students can also apply for a Santander Global Travel Award. More information about this scholarship can be found on the Santander Scholarships website.
More information about funding is available here.
Tab Content: Support for Travellers
All trip participants will be expected to attend a compulsory pre-departure training session before the trip.
Participants will also be expected to attend a Cross-Cultural Training workshop. There will be various sessions happening in the Lent and Summer Terms, including ones on 20 or 21 May which will be tailored especially for people participating in a Global Experiences vacation programme.
Tab Content: Key Facts
Key Facts About the Trip
Trip Dates: 30 March - 12 April
UK Departure Airport: Manchester
Estimated Number of Participants: 15 Lancaster University students. Please note, the programme will not be able to go ahead if there are fewer than 15 participants.
Deadline to apply: 12 February 2020
Tab Content: About Sunway Unviersity
Sunway University and Lancaster University established an academic partnership in 2006. Under this institutional arrangement, students are able to study on a range of undergraduate degree schemes and graduate from both Sunway University and Lancaster University. Students can study abroad for a full year, or take part in short term programmes.
For more information about the partnership between Lancaster University and Sunway University visit the partnership website.