Ghana: History and Culture
5 - 20 September: Explore Ghanaian history and learn about the modern culture of this West African nation.
As you will be aware there is an outbreak of the virus Covid-19 which is affecting travel to some areas. Current staff and students can check our internal information pages for updates.Information for current staff and students
Tab Content: Trip Overview
Over two weeks you will have the opportunity to explore Accra, Ghana's dynamic capital, as well as participating in a range of activities that will enhance your understanding of the contemporary and historical issues that make Ghana and West Africa so interesting. Through a combination of interacting with local students, academic excursions and trips to local businesses, you will gain first-hand knowledge of this friendly and growing nation.
Students interested in African history will benefit from a range of activities and site visits. Planned excursions include:
- Cultural orientation
- Accra City tour – Various historical site in Accra, including Black Star Square
- Visits to local businesses
- Weekend trip to the Central region, where highlights will include the Kakum National Park
- Visit Elmina Castle and Assin Manso to bear witness to the journey of enslaved people
- Visit to the Ashanti kingdom, including the Manhyia palace, Yaa Asantewaa museum and Okomfo Anokye sword site
Tab Content: Cost and Funding
Trip Fee Payable to Global Experiences: £1,195
This programme fee covers accommodation, all scheduled activities and most meals.
What isn't included in the fee?
- International Flight Costs: The Global Experiences team will arrange for a group international flight, which participants may opt on to. The cost for this year's flight is £714. You can opt into this flight during the trip application.
- Injections and medication: Yellow fever vaccinations are required for entry to Ghana, and antimalarial medicine is advised. Participants should visit a travel clinic or nurse for advice before travelling. There is also advice available on the NHS Fit for Travel Website.
- Spending money for shopping and free time activities.
- Visa Costs: UK passport holders need a visa to enter Ghana. The exact cost will depend on the type of visa and the application processed used, but will likely be around £100. You can find more information about the visa requirements to enter Ghana by checking the Ghanaian High Commission's website.
- Travel to and from the UK departure airport
Can I apply for funding?
In 2018-19, 65% students who travelled on on a Global Experiences trip received some form of financial assistance. Students who are in receipt of a means-tested bursary from the University will likely be eligible to receive funding covering 60-75% of the programme fee. This funding can be applied for during the trip application process.
More information about funding is available here.
Tab Content: Support for Travellers
All trip participants will be expected to attend a compulsory pre-departure training session on 27 May.
Participants will also be expected to attend a Cross-Cultural Training workshop. There will be various sessions happening in the Lent and Summer Terms, including ones on 20 or 21 May which will be tailored especially for people participating in a Global Experiences vacation programme.
Further resources for travellers can be found on the Global Experiences module on Moodle.
Tab Content: Key Facts
Key Facts About the Trip
Trip Dates: 5-20 September 2020 (Including travel days)
UK Departure Airport: London Heathrow
Estimated Number of Participants: 10 - 15 Lancaster University students.
Tab Content: About LU Ghana
The first British university branch campus in Ghana allows students across Africa to access Lancaster's academic excellence in teaching and research on the African continent.
Incorporating artificial intelligence, image processing, molecular virology and vast experience in the applied technologies, researchers at @Bruneluni ,@LancasterUni and @UniOfSurrey have developed an innovative device to detect CoVID-19 in 30 minutes using a smartphone app. https://t.co/mTzKuHWcMb
Our online library is accessible to all students with over 10,000 journals and 9,000 e-books available. For any special enquiries, send an email with the title. Author or ISBN to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and they will assist you. #SocialDistancing https://t.co/2YecPMDMUd
On the 4th of March Judith Annor, LGSC Academic Officer organised the maiden ‘Go-For-Gold Quiz’ The purpose of this quiz was to test students’ knowledge and encourage more interaction and healthy competition between students.#lancasterghana #socialdistancing #quiz #excellence https://t.co/zzCSVLAmbQ