Access and Articulation Programmes in China
There are a number of undergraduate and postgraduate options for students wishing to study a university preparation programme or transfer from one of our partner universities in China.
Lancaster currently has a number of Foundation Programmes in China taught at specially desiganted universities in Beijing (BFSU), Guangzhou (GDUFS), Shanghai (SHISU), Chongqing (SichISU) and Chengdu (SWUFE) that offer state level key programmes and are quality assured by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
The foundation programmes are for one year and have been designed to prepare students for their chosen undergraduate subject in English. The courses provide training in academic and study skills, computer skills, British culture and IELTS preparation. The programmes also include a two or four-week Study Skills Course at Lancaster in September before the academic year at Lancaster begins. The leng th of the course will depend on the student's English language level.
Programme entry requirements
Students eligible for entry to this programme must have at least an overall score of 60% on the Chinese National University Entrance Examination* On achieving the required score, those students wishing to apply for the programme must then pass an interview in English and a writing test to determine their level of English at point of entry and their suitability for the programme.
*Some Lancaster subjects require 60% in Maths.
Admission to Lancaster University
Applications are made through UCAS and almost all Lancaster degree programmes are available. At the end of the first two semesters in China, students must meet the following conditions to be admitted to Lancaster University’s Study Skills course and then into the department of their choice:
- Complete and pass all the components of the Foundation Programme. The passing grade will depend on the marking scheme of the partner university and some chigh-demand courses at Lancaster require higher grades
- Obtain an overall score of 6.5* in the IELTS examination (or 6.0* for some departments in the Faculty of Science and Technology).
*0.5 to 1.0 IELTS band below the requirement can accepted with our four or ten-week Pre-Sessional English courses
For further information please see the programme pages:
- Beijing Foreign Studies University
- Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, Guangzhou
- Shanghai International Studies University
- Sichuan International Studies University, Chongqing
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE), Chengdu
Lancaster also accepts the following foundation programmes, which are taught at numerous locations accross China:
- International Foundation Certificate (IFC), East and West International Education (EWIE)
- Top University Foundation Course (TUFC), Dongfang International Center for Educational Exchange (CSC)
- International Foundation Year, NCUK
Lancaster University currently offers 2+2 Programmes at a number of partner universities in China
Students on these programmes spend the first two years of their undergraduate studies in China and then study for a further two years here at Lancaster. In most cases the degree which is awarded is from Lancaster University only.
Students eligible for entry to this programme must have at least an overall score of 60% on the Chinese National University Entrance Examination*, or in the case of SCAU, be a registered student of the Chinese university. On achieving the required score, those students wishing to apply for the programme must then pass an interview in English and a writing test to determine their level of English at point of entry and their suitability for the programme.
*Some Lancaster subjects require 60% in Maths.
Progression to Lancaster University will depend on successful completion of the first two years in China, an IELTS language requirement of Band 6.5 or equivalent and passing an interview by a member of staff from Lancaster. Students apply directly to Lancaster University in their second year of study at their Chinese university.
Those students who meet the Lancaster University admissions criteria will be given the opportunity to go directly into the second year of the specified degree programme at Lancaster. For further information please see:
- Beijing Foreign Studies University (BFSU)
- Guangdong University of Foreign Studies GDUFS)
- Shanghai International Studies University (SHISU)
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics SWUFE)
- South China Agricultural University (SCAU)
We offer a pre-Master’s programme at Beijing Foreign Studies University, leading to a postgraduate Master’s degree at Lancaster in selected subject areas. To find more information about this programme please see:
Lancaster University currently offers double master's programmes with a number of universities. Students on these programmes spend one or two years of their master's studies in China and one year here at Lancaster; usually in their second year. Students who successfully complete the programme will be awarded two master's degrees; one from Lancaster University and one from the university in China.
For further information please see: