Breadcrumbs

The Modern Storeys

Early in the twentieth century after a successful period of business, the company made the transition from oil to plastic cloth. Storeys’ became one of the world’s largest users of vinyl chloride polymers. Designs became more daring and as technology advanced, the company began to produce plastic floor and wall coverings and even curtains.

In 1963, the Lancaster Guardian reported a revolutionary new partnership between Storeys and the car manufacturer, BMC, most well known for its production of Austins. Together, the Storey’s and BMC devised an innovative new means of upholstering their two door saloon, the result of which proved to be extremely popular amongst the general public. The Lancaster Guardian called the new development “a revolution in car upholstery”.

Internationally, Storeys had associated companies in Australia and the United States. The Storey-Steinhardt Company was based in Newark, New Jersey and was founded in 1968. Such expansion, coupled with the Storeys’ impressive export record, represented the pinnacle of the Storeys’ success. Their future seemed assured.

However, in 1977, Storeys were taken over by the Manchester based company Turner and Newall and the factory at White Cross was subsequently closed down after it became an unprofitable subsidiary to Wardles, a firm that produced similar products in the area of Earby. The old Mills are now occupied by Lancashire Enterprises Ltd and education services.

Lancaster University
Bailrigg
LancasterLA1 4YW United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1524 65201