Breadcrumbs

The Westfield Memorial Village

To the Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Men of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment and to all those mend and women on Lancaster and District who gave their lives in the Service of King and Country during the Great War 1914-1918Westfield Memorial Village was erected as a memorial to the fallen of the First World War. T.H Mawson designed the village and Herbert Storey gifted the estate of Westfield as a site for the new development. The estate included a mansion house, two cottages, stables, outbuildings and gardens. The area totaled sixteen acres in all and by 1955, 78 houses and six flats had been built on the land, including 3 detached properties.

The main benefactors of the village were those who had been maimed and disabled by the war. Widows were also welcomed into the community. A bowling green and children’s playground were developed, as was a hostel for single men impaired during the war and a permanent workshop where disabled men could receive training and employment. In addition, Westfield house became a social club. Of the village, Earl Hague commented that;

“There could be few more admiral methods of seeking to discharge the debt that we owe to those who have suffered grievous disability in the services of their country than by the building of this village”

Quoted in Victor Victor, “At the Going Down of the Sun”, Lancashire Life, October 1958.

Lancaster University
Bailrigg
LancasterLA1 4YW United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1524 65201