Professor Mark E. Smith, MA, PhD, DSc
Professor Smith studied natural sciences at Churchill College, Cambridge before completing a PhD at the University of Warwick. After time in industry in Germany and with CSIRO in Australia, he was appointed to the University of Kent in 1992 and returned to Warwick as Reader in 1998. There he held roles within the Physics Department before being appointed Chair of the Faculty of Science in 2005, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research in 2007, and subsequently Deputy Vice-Chancellor. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Physics.
He holds a number of external appointments which include:
- Member of Ampère Prize Committee
- Trustee of Jisc
- Chair of the Board of HECSU/Graduate Prospects
- Board member of the Higher Education Statistical Agency (HESA)
- Council member of the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW)
- Council member of the Engineering and Physical Research Council (EPSRC)
- Chair of the employers’ association (UCEA)
- Chair of the HEFCE Financial Sustainability Strategy Group (FSSG)
His research interests centre on applying advanced magnetic resonance techniques to understand a range of problems in materials physics including structural problems from disordered condensed matter such as biomaterials, glasses and nanocrystals.