Submit a 90-second video pitch to win up to £1,000 to make your idea happen!
Do you have a bright idea which you think will capture the imagination and support of your peers? Then this may be just the opportunity for you…
As you will have probably heard by now, we are busy planning for the re-launch of the Lancaster University Enterprise Awards this December. The Bright Sparks, People’s Choice award is looking for individuals or teams of students, recent alumni (past 3 years) or staff with an idea for a new venture. The proposal may be for an idea that is still as concept stage, or it may already have been registered as a formal trading entity, as long as it is still in the survival stage and has not yet achieved financial sustainability.
The Bright Sparks Award is unique from the other award categories – as not only are we asking for video pitch nominations, but also because the actual winner of the award will be determined on the night of the awards through an audience poll! The winner will receive access to support and up to £1,000 funding from The Enterprise Team through Santander Funding to help make the idea happen.
Think you’ve got a great idea which fits the bill?
To nominate an idea, send a link to your 90 second video-pitch to email@example.com. It is expected that your video pitch will cover the following:
- A brief statement of opportunity (pain points for users)
- A description of the solution you put forward
- Is the solution desirable? (Consider competitors and alternative solutions)
- Is the solution viable? (How will it be financially sustainable)
- Is the solution feasible? (Do you have the skills and resources necessary, and if not what skills/resources would you need and how would you acquire them?)
- How would the award help you kick-start your idea?
Deadline for submissions: Sunday the 19th of November.
Please email The Enterprise Team if you have any questions.
Terms and conditions of the Bright Sparks Award:
Entrants will be judged and shortlisted by the Enterprise Team based on the following criteria: desirability, feasibility and viability of idea ; creativity and presentation. The shortlisted videos will be presented on the night of the awards event. Finalists will be invited to attend the awards event where a winner will be judged by the audience. To be eligible, nominations need to be submitted by Lancaster University students or staff, as well as alumni who have graduated up to three years ago. To claim the prize teams need to be able to engage with the offering of the enterprise team to develop their project, which would mean being able to attend regular meetings in Lancaster.
We need your nominations!
We are currently busy planning for the relaunch of our annual Lancaster University Enterprise Awards. The awards aim to recognise and celebrate the diversity of ways in which students, researchers and alumni have applied their entrepreneurial mindsets, acted as creative-problem solvers and made a genuine impact on the world around them.
The awards seek not only to celebrate the successes but also recognise the journeys and distances travelled to reach those successes -every winner should have a story to tell, which hopefully will help to inspire others to engage in similar pursuits to realise their own dreams and ambitions.
The award ceremony itself is set to take place in December and will involve a formal dinner attended by various VIPs, stakeholders and of course a number of students. The dinner will be followed by entertainment, and an opportunity to network and socialise.
But now we need your help!
We need your assistance in identifying nominees within the following categories:
- Student Leader – Individuals/teams with a leadership role on behalf of a segment of the student body e.g. Society Execs, College JCRs, Departmental Reps, LUSU Offices and Student Ambassadors who have demonstrated the application of entrepreneurial behaviours to the realisation of an event, project, activity or other intervention.
- KE Champion – Individuals/teams who have displayed entrepreneurial behaviours in the undertaking of a Knowledge Exchange Intervention with an external organisation. For example through a Student Consultancy Project, Placement or Internship, KTP or PG Rise project.
- Impactful Researcher – Early Career Researchers who have translated, or taken active steps to translate their research into sustainable research impact, for example via a licensing agreement, spin-out or other business model.
- Sustainable Venture – Individuals/teams who have successfully launched a venture that has a clearly identified ‘triple bottom line’ business model, and has demonstrated or begun to demonstrate its viability. Must be formally registered, and trading for a maximum of three years.
- Organisational Innovator – Individual alumni (up to last three years) who have gone into employment in any role, industry or sector except self-employment, or as a founder member of a start-up
There will also be a ‘bright sparks’ category which will involve the submission of short video pitches for ideas – more details on this category to follow!
Further details on each of the categories and what we are looking for can be found within the nomination form. If you think there is either a team or individual (or maybe you are them!) that fits into one of the categories, please download and complete this nomination form and send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the 31st of October.
‘Celebrating Entrepreneurship in Great Britain’
Now in its fifth year, the NatWest Great British Entrepreneur Awards celebrates the hard work and inspiring stories of outstanding British entrepreneurs and businesses. The awards not only set out to celebrate successes but also the stories behind the people – ‘true entrepreneurs are as much about their story as they are about their balance sheet.’
This year the award is expanding, with ceremonies to be held in five cities – Cardiff, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and London.
There are 11 different categories in which you can nominate including, Young Entrepreneur of the Year and Start-Up Entrepreneur of the Year.
The deadline for nominations is the 1st of September 2017. To find out more and submit an application, visit the awards website.
Got an idea for a product that could improve people’s lives?
Calling all inventors, entrepreneurs, shed-tinkerers, DIYers or life-hackers – if you have an idea for a product which could help improve people’s lives, the Inventor Prize could be for you!
Nesta are launching the prize in partnership with the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS). The prize aims to inspire and harness the potential of the UK’s home-grown inventors and stimulate user-led innovation. The prize will support individuals and small organisations to take their innovative products from idea to market.
The deadline for applications is the 22nd of October 2017. In November, a panel of judges will select 10 finalists to receive £5,000 as well as bespoke mentoring to develop their product. Then the overall winner will be announced in September next year, winning £50,000 to make their dream a reality.
To find out more and enter the competition visit the Inventor Prize website.
Win a place on a Leadership Programme in Silicon Valley
Startup Summit is an exciting event ‘bringing the global eco-system to Scotland’s historic capital.’
The event is a one day exploration of all things startup – looking at the changing landscape of business, surviving in the startup world and growing into a thriving business. Founders and Executives of some of the world’s most successful companies will attend the event, speaking and sharing advice for your startup.
Each year, a number of emerging technology entrepreneurs are given the opportunity to pitch to a panel of judges for a chance to earn a place on a five day leadership programme in Silicon Valley. To be in with a chance to pitch you can apply now, here.
For more information about the event on the 1st of November in Edinburgh visit the Startup Summit website. There are also opportunities to volunteer at the event.
Are you one of the North’s most promising early stage tech companies?
Applications for the North’s biggest startup competition are now open!
Over the past two years the Northern Stars competition has helped 20 winning startups to grow their businesses on both a national and international level. Now it’s your chance!
What’s the prize?
Up for grabs is an impressive prize package including:
- Trip to TechCrunch Disrupt Berlin
- Entry into the Northern Tech Awards
- Investor networking events
- Ministerial roundtable with the UK government
- Media and pitch training.
In addition to the 10 winners, all 10 runners up will also received support from Tech North.
Who can apply?
- Early-stage tech startups
- Must have a product on the market that has gained traction
- Have raised no more than £2 million in equity-based investment.
A series of regional heats will be held in the coming months, with the grand final taking place in November. Visit the Tech North website to find out more and apply!
‘Celebration of the North’s strength in eCommerce’
Delivered by Prolific North, the eCommerce Show North is the largest gathering of eCommerce companies, vendors and suppliers held outside London, reflecting the huge commercial marketplace that is the North.
Tech North have announced that they will be heading to the show and hosting a collection of stands to form the ‘Tech North boulevard.’ For your chance to exhibit as part of ‘the boulevard’ all you have to do is fill in a simple online form on Tech North’s website.
To apply, your business must be no more than five years old and have fewer than 25 full-time employees.
The deadline for applications is the 14th of July, for more details visit the Tech North website.
The eCommerce show North will be held from the 11th-12th of October at EventCity in Manchester, for more details on the event, visit their website.
Fill in our feedback survey for a chance to win a £15 Amazon Voucher!
With the final Lab sessions for the academic year behind us we are now keen to gather feedback on your experiences of the Ideas and StartupLabs which have run this academic year. A simple, short survey has been composed to help us do this. The survey should take a maximum of 10 minutes to complete! We would really appreciate your help with this as any feedback will be vital to helping us to shape our future offering.
If you complete the survey and are happy to provide your name and email address, you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £15 Amazon Voucher. Terms and Conditions of the prize draw are outlined below:
Terms and Conditions for Feedback Survey Prize Draw
The Prize and Draw
- The prize will be a £15 Amazon Voucher in the form of a gift card purchased from Amazon.co.uk. This gift card is bound by its own Terms & Conditions which you can access here. We will not give a cash equivalent.
- Entries will close at midnight on the 14/08/17 and a winner will be drawn on the 15/08/17. The closing date is however subject to change. Notification through our website and social media will be provided if the date is changed. (27/07/17 – The date for completion has been extended from 27/07/17 to the 14/08/17, T&Cs have been updated with the new date)
- All entries will be entered into a spreadsheet and allocated a number. A random number generator will be used to select the winner.
- Our decision will be final. The winner will be notified by email as early as possible following the draw on the 15/08/17.
- If the winner does not respond within 7 days of the notification email, a new winner will be drawn and the same steps will be followed until the prize is claimed.
- The Enterprise Team reserve the right to stipulate further limitations in the selection of this gift card in order to facilitate a decision.
For entry into the draw you must:
- Have completed the survey to a substantial level which will be of help to The Enterprise Team. The standard of entries will be determined by members of the The Enterprise Team.
- Have completed the survey by midnight on the 14/08/17
- Have attended a IdeasLab or StartupLab at Lancaster University over the 2016-17 academic year, The Enterprise Team will verify each entry against records.
- Participants are limited to one entry per person.
- Must provide your name and email address, meaning that the completion of this survey will not be anonymous.
Santander Awards Semi-Final Update
This week, Lancaster University’s Santander semi-finalists traveled to Northumbria University to pitch their ideas in the North & Ireland Semi-Final.
Charles Rogers pitched his virtual queuing app first in the pre-revenue category followed by Ze and Adam of Kaizen Academy in the post-revenue category. Both delivered excellent, well prepared five minute pitches which were followed by a grilling from the panel.
The results were announced on the day, unfortunately amidst very tough competition neither made it through to the final. However, as winner’s of the People’s Choice Vote, Kaizen Academy have been selected to attend the forthcoming accelerator week and have also be awarded £500 of funding. Both Charles and Kaizen were a credit to Lancaster – we would like to thank them for all of the hard-work they put into the competition. I think would agree that it was a great day and a lot can be taken away from the experience.
‘Get your idea out there, find investment and accelerate growth’
Venturefest brings together SMEs with investors, entrepreneurs, innovators and academics to connect and do business. It is an ideal opportunity to network with like-minded individuals, learn how to bring innovative new concepts to market and get your idea out there. The event will include a number of panel discussions, keynote speakers and much more.
When? 14th September, 9am-2:30pm
Where? Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
One of the event highlights is the Innovation Showcase Competition, with £40,000 worth of prizes and a chance to pitch to an audience of potential investors! Small and medium-sized enterprises across the North West are invited to submit their entries online within one of the two categories – Startup or Growth by the 30th June.
To find out more about Venturefest and register your attendance visit their website here.