Call for Papers (Now Closed)
We invite the submission of abstracts (for paper or poster presentations) addressing all aspects of cognitive linguistics.
The conference aims to cover a broad range of research concerned with language and cognition. We will be especially interested in promoting strongly empirical work. To this end, we intend to organise (some of) the papers into thematic sessions, with our plenary speakers acting as discussants. The themes will be:
- Typology and constructional analyses of the languages of the world
- Corpora and statistical methods
- Metaphor and discourse
In addition to these themes, submissions on other aspects of the field are also welcome. These include but are not restricted to:
- Domains and frame semantics
- Categorisation, prototypes and polysemy
- Mental spaces and conceptual blending
- Language evolution
- Linguistic variation and language change
- Cognitive linguistic approaches to language teaching
Cognitive linguistics is by definition highly interdisciplinary, and so in addition to primarily linguistic research, we also invite submissions that are based on disciplines such as (cognitive and social) psychology, cognitive and neuroscience, anthropology, primatology, biology, and discourse and communication studies.
Talks will be 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions and discussion. There will also be a poster session. The language of the conference is English.
Abstracts of no more than 300 words (excluding references) should be submitted using EasyChair: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ukclc5. Participants are allowed to submit abstracts for no more than one single-authored paper and one joint-authored paper.
All abstracts will be subject to double-blind peer review by an international scientific committee.
The deadline for abstract submission is 10 January 2014. Notification of acceptance will be communicated by 21 February 2014.
Abstracts must be strictly anonymous, and should be submitted in plain text and/or PDF format. If you need to use phonetic characters, please make sure that they are displayed correctly.
To be able to submit an abstract you must use your existing EasyChair login details. If you have not registered with EasyChair before, please do so using the link above. Once you have created an account or signed in please follow the following steps:
- Click on the 'New Submission' link at the top of the page.
- Agree to the terms and conditions (if prompted).
- Fill in the relevant information about the author or authors.
- Give the title of the paper in the 'Title' box and then (a) enter or paste your abstract into the 'Abstract' box (please remember that this is plain text only) and/or (b) upload your abstract as a PDF file by clicking 'Choose File' under 'Upload Paper.’
- At the top of your abstract, indicate whether you would prefer an oral presentation, a poster, or either. Please do this by entering ‘oral presentation’, ‘poster’, or ‘oral presentation/poster’ at the top of your abstract, above the title.
- Type three or more keywords into the 'Keywords' box (these will help us choose suitable reviewers for your abstract, as well as a possible thematic session for your paper).
- When you are done, please press 'Submit' at the very bottom of the page.
Since 2012 UK-CLA publishes selected conference presentations in the series 'Selected Papers from UK-CLA Meetings' (ISSN 2046-9144); UK-CLC5 will continue this tradition.