Dr Jenefer PhilpSenior Lecturer
My research centers on the role of interaction in instructed language learning, among children and among adults, through socio-cognitive perspectives:
1. Peer interaction - how does it complement the role of the teacher?
2. Learner engagement in language classrooms - cognitive, social and emotional - how can we describe it? how can we foster it?
3. The contribution of individual differences in learning through oral interaction (e.g. working memory, language aptitude, motivation, learning preferences)
4. The role of noticing, the place of corrective feedback, and of learner's output in language development.
5. Task based interaction - how does it work in foreign language settings?
PhD Supervision Interests
child second language acquisition; peer interaction; individual differences and instructed language learning; corrective feedback; learner engagement; task based interaction
Focus on oral interaction
Oliver, R., Philp, J. 2014 Oxford : Oxford University Press. 162 p. ISBN: 9780194000840.
Peer interaction and second language learning
Philp, J., Adams, R., Iwashita, N. 6/11/2013 New York : Taylor & Francis. ISBN: 9780415895729.
Classroom interaction and learning opportunities across time and space
Batstone, R., Philp, J. 2013 In: Second language interaction in diverse educational contexts. 2013 : John Benjamins p. 109-125. 17 p. ISBN: 9789027213105, 97890272131099 . Electronic ISBN: 9789027272348.
Interaction research: What can socially informed approaches offer to cognitivists (and vice versa)?
Philp, J., Mackey, A. 2010 In: Sociocognitive perspectives on language use and language learning . Oxford : Oxford University Press p. 210-228. 19 p.
Peer interaction in the foreign language classroom: what factors foster a focus on form?
Philp, J., Walter, S., Basturkmen, H. 2010 In: Language Awareness. 19, 4, p. 261-279. 19 p.
Language acquisition in foreign language contexts and the differential benefits of interaction
Philp, J., Tognini, R. 10/2009 In: International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching. 47, 3-4, p. 245-266. 22 p.
Second language acquisition and the young learner: child's play?
Philp, J., Oliver, R., Mackey, A. 2008 Amsterdam : John Benjamins. 334 p. ISBN: 9789027219848.
The impact of planning time on children's task-based interactions
Philp, J., Oliver, R., Mackey, A. 12/2006 In: System. 34, 4, p. 547-565. 19 p.
Conversational interaction and second language development: recasts, responses, and red herrings?
Mackey, A., Philp, J. 1998 In: Modern Language Journal. 82, 3, p. 338-356. 19 p.
Participation in conference