Student consulting projects
Student projects are an excellent opportunity to bring new insights into your business whilst at the same time developing the consultancy skills of our students and giving them enormously valuable work experience.
All our programmes, undergraduate and postgraduate, place a very strong emphasis on practice as well as theory.
At LUMS we work with organisations of different sizes and sectors who have a business issue that can be dealt with in the form of a student project. Since 2010 we have run over 500 successful student consultancy projects with a variety of local, national and international businesses. The students involved range from talented young undergraduates to commercially-aware Masters students and MBA students, with substantial professional experience acquired all around the world.
Depending on the programme, the length of the project varies from two weeks to twenty weeks, with students working in groups of two to seven on a brief agreed with you. In each case, they produce a final report/presentation, with a series of practical recommendations. Lancaster University Management School provides overall support throughout the project, both to the students and to the businesses.
Many of the student projects are managed through our Department of Entrepreneurship, Strategy and Innovation; others are run by our MBA team or by our Department of Management Science.
What areas can we help with?
Our students can help with issues in a wide range of business areas, including:
- Business operations and processes
- Exploring new ventures
- Change management
- Strategy and business planning
- Marketing research
- Human resource issues
- Workforce engagement
- Project management
- Events management
- Social media strategies
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Operations research and management science
- Data management and analysis
- Marketing analytics
- Warehousing and inventory control
The benefits of working with our students:
- Undertake a project that you may not have the resources or skills for in-house
- Gain valuable market intelligence and get fresh ideas
- Utilise the project reports provided by your students to inform your decision making
- Build valuable working relationships with students, and perhaps test them out for future placement or job opportunities
To find out what student projects are available, timings and who to contact to discuss your needs further, see our Student Project Calendar