This is the typical process for applying for an industrial placement (IP). It is a very competitive market but our students succeed in getting placements with top companies. We will support you at all stages of the process.
1. Research opportunities
2. Online application form
3. Psychometric testing
4. First stage interview
5. Assessment centre
6. Final interview
Preparation for placement
LUMS has the following structured programme which is compulsory for IP students. They must:
- Take Preparation For Placements 1 – an off timetable course, devised in partnership with Deloitte, with 15 contact hours culminating in a one-to-one mock interview with an employer and a three-hour mock assessment centre with an employer. It is delivered by the LUMS Careers Team with support from employers and is a requirement for all first year students intending to take a placement. It takes place in Summer Term.
- Complete the Preparation for Placement 2 course by distance learning – during the summer vacation at the end of their first year students, supported by the LUMS Careers Team, research placement opportunities, compile a placement CV and covering letter and develop their skills with practice psychometric testing.
- Take compulsory module 250 - Research @ Work - which combines developing employability skills with preparation for researching a dissertation. This is delivered by a partnership of academic departments, LUMS Careers and invited employers. There is a strong focus on students having the ability to assess their own development and to analyse their learning in the workplace.
- Student then goes on the placement year.
- On return in fourth year students complete a variety of academic tasks to help them to analyse their placement experiences, to reflect on their personal development and to review some of their career aspirations.
Gaining relevant work experience
Many placement providers want to see that applicants have relevant work experience. This is not always easy to achieve. One way of sourcing relevant work experience is through volunteering. LUSU Involve offers a range of opportunities to develop your skills while supporting the local community.
Where do our students go on placement?
Our students work with all the top companies.