Higher Education Research and Evaluation Centre
here@lancaster is the Centre for Higher Education Research and Evaluation in the Department of Educational Research and undertakes the following work:
- Research and evaluation studies in higher education
Recent examples include research into HEFCE’s higher education enhancement policies and their effects; evaluation of the Scottish Quality Enhancement Framework; evaluation of a university’s strategic development project over 3 years.
- Contributing to the literature on higher education research
Centre members disseminate their research through their Publications which include journal articles, reports, books and other media.
- Central involvement with the ESRC/HEFCE Centre for Global Higher Education (CGHE)
This multi-site centre conducts research into engagement and impact in higher education.
- Delivering two Doctoral Programmes focused on research into higher education
They are the residential-based PhD in Educational Research - Higher Education Doctoral Programme and the fully e-learning based PhD in Higher Education: Research, Evaluation and Enhancement. Both are for higher educational professionals and so involve part-time study.
- Supervising and supporting traditional-route doctoral research into higher education
Many Traditional route PhD candidates are attracted to the Department of Educational Research because of the expertise of academic staff who are specialists in research into higher education. Watch a video about Theory in Doctoral Research into Higher Education introduced by Centre Members.
- Hosting symposia and conferences on higher education
These include the biennial Higher Education Close Up conference for researchers into higher education and annual week-long symposia hosting higher education specialists from around the world.
- Providing expertise, consultancies and workshops for higher education institutions
Recent examples have included involvement with the Norwegian Quality Agency’s (NOKUT) Centres of Excellence development and workshops with the Scottish Higher Education Enhancement Committee (SHEEC).
Visit the Educational Research YouTube channel to find out more about our work.