This new programme is the result of an innovative, interdisciplinary collaboration between the Postgraduate Quaker Study Centre at Woodbrooke, Birmingham and the Department of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion (PPR) at Lancaster University.
The MA is designed to introduce you to the theories, issues and processes connected with the history, theology and sociology of Quakerism in a global context. It offers training in research methods and includes a module on theories of international relations to help you better understand the modern global context.
The programme is especially relevant if you are interested in Quaker theology and history, the adaptation of religious groups to new social and geographical settings, globalisation and religion, and secularisation and Quakerism in a changing political environment.
The five modules deal with a wide range of topics relevant to the scheme:
- Theory and Methods in Postgraduate Studies
- Major Approaches to International Relations
- Quaker Theology in Context
- The Sociology of Contemporary Quakerism
- Quakerism, Peace and Justice
Plus theDissertation Module.
Each module is to be completed within a 10-week period and assessed by the participation in weekly learning activities and a 5,000 word essay (to be submitted after the end of the module). Study throughout the whole programme is comprehensively supported through supervised online group discussions, web seminars and individual academic supervision to ensure an engaging and enjoyable distance learning experience.
Finally, for those interested, there will be an optional Summer School based at Woodbrooke and at Lancaster University in the heart of ‘1652 country’, which will include additional lectures and guided visits to key sites of Quaker interest.
Director of Studies: Professor Christopher Partridge
Duration: 1 year
Entry Requirements: An upper second class honours degree, or its equivalent
Assessment: A combination of participation in weekly learning activities, essays and a dissertation
Funding: All applicants should consult www.lancs.ac.uk/pgfunding/
- Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies : MA
- Conflict, Development and Security : MA
- Cyber Security : MSc
- Diplomacy and Foreign Policy : MA
- Diplomacy and International Law (Distance Learning) : LLM
- Diplomacy and International Law (Distance Learning) : MA
- Diplomacy and International Law : LLM/MA
- Diplomacy and International Relations (by Distance Learning) : MA
- Diplomacy and Religion : MA
- International Relations : MA
- International Relations : MRes
- Philosophy : PgCert
- Philosophy : MA
- Philosophy : MPhil/PhD
- Philosophy and Religion : MA
- Political Theology for Peace (Distance) : PGCert of Achievement
- Politics : MA
- Politics : PhD
- Politics and International Relations : PgCert
- Politics and Philosophy : MA
- Politics, Philosophy and Management : MSc
- Politics, Philosophy and Religion : MA
- Quaker Studies : PgCert
- Quakerism in the Modern World : MA
- Religion and Conflict : MA
- Religious Studies : MA
- Religious Studies : MPhil/PhD
- Religious Studies : PgCert