What Will You Study
This programme, which offers both an academic award and a professional qualification in social work, prepares you for careers in a broad range of social work agencies and settings.
The teaching emphasis is on issues relevant to social work practice in contemporary Britain, and explores the ways in which sociology, law, social policy and psychology inform and enhance professional social work.
Social work staff work in partnership with local stakeholders, including the main statutory and voluntary social work agencies in the North-West, and the programme offers 200 days of placement practice learning (170 days on placement and 30 skills development days in the University).
The social work programme includes a focus upon:
- Policy and Legal Contexts of Social Work
- The Research Minded Practitioner
- Preparation for Practice 1
- Social Work and Adult Social Care
- Social Work with Children and Families
- Social Work with Young People
- Preparation for Practice 2
- Social Divisions and Social Diversity
- Mental Health and Distress
- Social Work and Drug Use