This degree will develop your understanding of the relationship between the physical laws of the universe and the astrophysical and cosmological domains. In addition to a thorough grounding in Quantum Physics and Electromagnetism in your first year, this degree scheme includes lectures on Astronomy, Introductory Astrophysics and Introductory Cosmology in your second year.
Stellar Astrophysics, Big Bang Cosmology, Astrophysics and Cosmology Laboratory are all third year modules and on the final year of the four-year MPhys degree scheme, you will complete your extended research project and study subjects such as Current Cosmology and Advanced Relativity and Gravity. Research project topics include binary variable stars, cosmic radio noise, martian ionosphere, high altitude ozone, magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling, multi-wavelength solar observations, gravitational waves and cosmic inflation.
Laboratory work for this scheme includes topics in core Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology. For your project work, you can use our on-site astronomical observatory which contains a 356mm Schmidt-Cassegrain reflecting telescope and other equipment for optical and radio astronomy.
- Physics : BSc Hons
- Physics : MPhys Hons
- Physics / North America : MPhys Hons
- Theoretical Physics : MPhys Hons
- Theoretical Physics : BSc Hons
- Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology : BSc Hons
- Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology : MPhys Hons
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology : MPhys Hons
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology : BSc Hons
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics : MSci Hons
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics (North America) : MSci
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics : BSc Hons