This degree develops your understanding of the relationship between the physical laws of the universe and the astrophysical and cosmological domains. You will obtain a thorough grounding in core physics areas such as Quantum Physics and Electromagnetism in your first year, Quantum Mechanics and Relativity in your second year and Particle and Atomic Physics in your third year. Furthermore, this scheme also includes lectures on Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology in your second year and Stella Astrophysics and Big Bang Cosmology in your third year, as well as specialised laboratory work in Astrophysics and Cosmology.
In your final year you will complete an extended research project on topics such as binary variable stars, cosmic radio noise, gravitational waves and cosmic inflation, and study subjects such as Current Cosmology and Advanced Relativity and Gravity.
For your project work, you can use our on-site astronomical observatory which contains a 356mm Schmidt-Cassegrain reflecting telescope and other equipment for optical and radio astronomy.
- Physics : BSc Hons
- Physics : MPhys Hons
- Physics (Study Abroad) : MPhys Hons
- Theoretical Physics : MPhys Hons
- Theoretical Physics : BSc Hons
- Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology : BSc Hons
- Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology : MPhys Hons
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology : MPhys Hons
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology : BSc Hons
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics : MSci Hons
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics (Study Abroad) : MSci Hons
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics : BSc Hons