Principles, Policies and Guidelines
Statements of Principles
The University has a range of Statements of Principles which inform and guide all core areas of its activities and undertakings. Principles relating to Academic Standards and Quality activities include:
- The Principles for Learning, Teaching and Assessment summarise the values upholding all learning, teaching and assessment for all undergraduate and postgraduate full-time and part-time degree programmes at Lancaster University.
- The Student Support Principles summarise Lancaster University’s policy on student support for students registered on its undergraduate and postgraduate full-time and part-time degree programmes.
Policies in Summary
The University has a number of policies and guidelines related to the Manual of Academic Regulations and Procedures.
- The Admissions Policy outlines our core commitments with respect to entry, admissions, registration, feedback, appeals and complaints, monitoring and review.
- The Student Attendance and Engagement Policy sets out expectations in relation to students' engagement with their studies.
- The Peer Observation Policy outlines the minimum principles that should be adopted by departments to support their own peer observation systems and procedures.
- The Placements Policy offers support and guidance to staff responsible for managing and facilitating university work placements.
Frameworks and Guidelines
- The Code of Practice on the Employment of Postgraduate Students.
- Guidelines on How to Conduct a Viva Online
- The Institutional Plagiarism Framework provides guidelines on the prevention and detection of plagiarism by students, and defines roles and responsibilities when addressing these issues.
- The University's Postgraduate Research Code of Practice outlines the framework of support and policies for doctoral students.
- The Principles and Guidelines for Student Academic Representation outlines the system that is run in partnership between the University and Lancaster University Students' Union (LUSU).
- Guidelines on Collaborative PhDs leading to Lancaster University Awards