Our lecturers conduct fascinating research into the languages and cultures of China, Germany, Italy, France and the French-speaking world and Spain including Catalonia, and South America. We also carry out research into transnational and comparative aspects of Europe since the Early Modern Period.
- Our students are in demand: according to The Times Good University Guide 2019, French and Spanish at Lancaster are ranked number 1 in the UK for graduate prospects and German is number 6.
- We offer a ragne of different degree combinations and a dynamic and stimulating environment for study.
- As well as supporting students with a language at advanced level, DeLC at Lancaster has a proven record in teaching a language to students who are taking it up (often as an additional language) for the first time.
- We aim to promote a global understanding of languages and cultures with courses that study themes across a number of countries.
- Our relative size means we offer real and productive contact between students and staff.
You can read more about our department and our degree courses in our Undergraduate booklet.
The Resource Centre is your space for making the most out of your studies while you are with us.
The Centre offers a bright, comfortable environment for catching up on some language exercises, reading the week’s foreign-language news, watching a foreign film or TV programme, browsing our extensive selection of books, carrying out group work, photocopying, scanning, and logging on to one of the many language-learning sites. The Centre is fully Wi-Fi compatible. Read more about the Resource Centre.